10 Chukhrai Partisan Village

Chukhrai Partisan Village

Posted on October 19, 2011 by

Chukhrai is a village in the Bryansk region. Today you can hardly find any information about it on the Internet and it is hard to believe that during World War II this place used to be a populous partisan center.

These photos are not only another proof of devastation, they are an echo of a once lively community with the people, whose life was much harder than today's one.

The villagers were doing subsistence farming here.

10 Responses to “Chukhrai Partisan Village”

1. jaap says:

I love this site,!!!!
    First class photograpy and the history of the former Sovjet Union is so impressive.

2. pytor says:

what a sad village.But this trend is continuing all over world.Millions of people leave their ancestral villages and settle in mega cities.
    Is this village for sale?i might purchase it and meditate for entire life

• CZenda says:

Or spend rest of your life fixing it. I know what I am talking about, I bought a neglected farm as a summer house and the only meditation I do there on weekends is “Where is the god-damn chainsaw when I need it” or “OK, the Bosch hammer drill turned out to be a piece of trash, should I buy Makita or Milwaukee as replacement?” :D

• Archy Bunka says:

I love my Makita, do not buy a cordless hammer drill if you intend to hammer drill into hard stuff, which is most stuff, lol.

3. Mr. Fox says:

Why they leave some photos?

4. marxistworker says:

Why was this village (and countless others) abandoned? Why does the Great Plains of the U.S. also have many abandoned villages? Economics.

• Archy Bunka says:

You have hit upon a tragic consequence of the fall of the USSR. The USSR’s economy was a shambles, it tried to be all things to all people and couldn’t possibly sustain itself.
      However, since making a profit wasn’t a primary motivation there were many enclaves and services supported on a small scale that gave people a life.
      One similar example: The US Post Office.
      The PO serves people with thousands of tiny offices around America, even though they don’t make money. And people make a decent living working for it in very remote areas. Unfortunately, the US government in its infinite wisdom, has started to dismantle this system because, why should the government give a damn about these people? It’s just another example of the soul sucking Washington DC mentality that may someday ruin this country. America, was founded on high principles, set in writing, that told people what they COULD do, not what they COULD NOT do. This definition of national principles was a first in modern world history. It was not perfect, but the goal was defined. I am afraid that America is evolving into a large sponge, and Washington squeezes and squeezes this sponge, until it is dry.

5. maffoo says:

I would imagine the inhabitants may not have left on their own accord. They may have been taken away during a purge & never made it back.

6. stolichnaya says:

The handwriting in that forgotten letter is beautiful. That town must have been filled with many stories at one time … but now there are only ghosts. Kind of sad.

7. Elwood Essick says:

HOW ABOUT THE MAN WITH THE TELESCOPE? AND THE LADY WITH THE TWO KIDS? AND ONE MORE THE SHOVEL IN THE HOLE WHAT IS ARE THESE IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT TRYING TO GUESS PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!