21 Chechnya, Memories In Pictures

Chechnya, Memories In Pictures

Posted on October 19, 2011 by

These are pictures which belong to some soldiers. Seeing them, you will understand what it is like serving in Chechnya. With no colouring the truth.

21 Responses to “Chechnya, Memories In Pictures”

1. geoff says:

What can you say.

2. Zonda says:

Nasty days….

3. ayaa says:

None of these pictures show what it’s like to be under fire from within a house filled with civilians. Or to be perched on top of a Tigr looking at the angry mob, knowing that you are the perfect target for a sniper, or someone hidden within the crowd.

• yojimbo says:

I have seen a few videos that give a much better view from the Russian standpoint also some filmed by US troops in Iraq/Afghanistan.I am talking about ones that where shoot by the troops themselves not some news crew.

Some of the vehicles the shrapnel pattern looks like that of an RPG but lacks the central impact point perhaps they got very lucky and the rocket exploded before contacting the vehicle.(8th picture and 37th and 38th).

Seeing the flipped over BMPs the enemy appears to have made some use of pressure plate activated IEDs very devastating if you hit one of these.

• yojimbo says:

well one is a BTR-80 and the other is a BRDM before someone tries to flame me.

• ayaa says:

yojimbo

You know quite a lot about these things. Are you military?

• yojimbo says:

Sorry I did not see your question ayaa

I was I am an American I was in the United States Air Force for 12 years I left as an E-5 Staff Sargent.Also I have been an avid sturdier of military affairs much of my life.I have much more interest in Soviet/Russian military history than most Westerners do I have a very good friend that is an officer in military intelligence he told me that I know more than many analysts that he has meet many of whom have masters or even PhDs.

Most Americans do not understand the Russian military mind set which is a shame because we can really get along much better if we did.If you have empathy of another nations mind set that can go along way.People think that there is little relation between what the US and Russia currently deal with militarily but there is much in common for example many of the enemy fighters encountered they are Chechen you can say that Chechens are the ones that go around and train other Islamist how to fight and often used as the shock troops.

You would be surprised what you can learn with an open mind and some reading.

4. The Chechens just want to have their own country free from Russian domination, just like any people with their own ethnic and linguistic history who have been oppressed for generations.

5. wacek says:

What russia was looking for there??? Another atrocities?? When Russian people start to comprehend the pain they deliver to other nations and to themselfs?

6. ho fo sho says:

How do the Chechnyans feel about being reintegrated into the Russian Federation? Not trying to start a fight, but are they really cool with it? And if so, why?

7. critter says:

They blow up subways and airports and take school children hostage then systematically kill them. And you wonder why Russia invaded!?!?!

8. Archy Bunka says:

The Chechens had won their independence, but that wasn’t enough, no, they wanted to expand into Dagestan, that was excuse enough for Russia to invade.
    I admire the Chechnyans tenacity, but it is not wise to poke a sick bear with a stick.

• bob says:

Archy, agreed, but no independence was won. Chechnya is in Russia. Russia could afford to let it slip until it was able to restore order there again.

9. Pedro says:

I don’t known much about this war. I’m from Portugal, the country in Europe with the oldest borders. Unchanged since many centuries ago.

Please enlighten me about this stuff. Why Chechens want independence?

• (r)evolutionist says:

Mostly because of their clannish qualities; they are a different ethnicity; and importantly, they are a different religion (Muslim). They have always felt they were mistreated/neglected by a far away Government that conquered them (in the 1800s).

• Babysitter says:

With the fall of USSR radical muslim organisations saw the opportunity to use instability of Caucasus and create Kavkaz Emirate ruled by religious leaders under strict Sharia law. Many of their leaders were Arab mercenaries and the conflict was sponsored from abroad.
      So yeah, it was not really Chechen national movement. And when Chechnya in fact became independent after Khasavyurt treaty, they did not stop but proceeded with their plan to create the Emirate by invading Dagestan. After this, some Chechen clans understood that they were simply used by their foreign “brothers” and abandoned their cause and joined Federal forces.

10. Mercal says:

Wheeled vehicles = disaster

11. Michael says:

Beslan was enough for those of us foolish to be sympathetic to the Chechen cause. The role played by these monsters in Syria is conclusive enough