11 Russian Soldiers In Chechnya

Russian Soldiers In Chechnya

Today we'll get some more experience about Russian soldiers' lives in Khankala city by visiting a motorized rifle brigade.

Let's visit the garrison in Khankala city first.

11 Responses to “Russian Soldiers In Chechnya”

1. ayaa says:

This is just the main base of the 42nd. It’s real strength, the Voskod and Zapad battalions are based elsewhere along with a lot of the tanks.

2. Verto says:

Why this garrison has so many “sports grounds” ? ? ? ? Are these “sports grounds” use for “Lego” soldiers ? ? ? ?

3. geoff says:

What are “Contract soldiers” that don’t have special gear.

• ayaa says:

They do. Check out the Barmitsa systems. If they don’t count as combat gear, then what does?

• yojimbo says:

ayaa you seem to know what is meant by the term “contract solider” is this a person who has joined the armed forces willingly and signed a contract term of enlistment(this is how all US military members enlist) in other words the person was not conscripted(drafted) or has a “contract solider” signed a contract agreeing to serve in a given region?(something not done in the US)

• ayaa says:

I take it that you know that Russia has conscription. 12 months in the army. That is mandatory. After 12 months, you can choose to stay. In other words, you are volunteering. You don’t have to sign a contract. But that may have changed. I’ve been a reservist since 2008, so I’m not 100% sure, but I think that it is becoming mandatory for all red-tabs to become contract servicemen. But, who knows, Makarov might manage to kill another good idea, too.

• geoff says:

ayaa My question was real. I have copied the next line straight from the article.
        ” Contract soldiers don’t have special gear that’s why they gave to buy gears of the same color and design chosen by the unit commander”

• ayaa says:

Exactly. Not true. I was active for over 7 years, and I never had to buy my Ratnik, or Barmista or even my Kovboy.

• geoff says:

ayaa, Thank you once again. I thought the line “no special gear thats why they gave to buy” must be a wrong translation. But I wanted to know what is a contract soldier.

4. yojimbo says:

So you sign no contract(or papers) after the 12 months surely you must sign some contractual paper work even upon conscription?In the US one signs two different contracts the first one can back out of the second is signed after swearing an oath to defend the Constitution of the US and to obey all orders given by officers and NCOs after you take this oath what you signed to on paper(term of service) is set and must be met.

Perhaps a different term is used in Russia for what I am referring to.I gather from what you say that the soldiers shown have already completed the 12 month term and they decided to stay in.

An all volunteer military is a noble idea but based on my time in the US Air Force I find that it can also be overly taxing on men because at least in the US post Vietnam our government will never use conscription again and that means that less troops have to deploy over and over and over again.I am sure you know the hardships military life can be.In Russia this idea is new hopefully if they go with it they will make it more fair than our volunteer system is over here.I have friends in the US Army and Marines that have been to Iraq and Afghanistan 7 and ever 8 times that is a almost a decade in a war zone.

• ayaa says:

Yeah. I know. The green-tabs are needed to maintain enough numbers. The red-tabs are needed to have enough quality to beat back any threat that the quantity of the green-tabs can’t overcome.