This is what foreigners think about Russia and its people.
1. The Russians treat cheap things with distrust.
2. The English word ‘bargain’ cannot be adequately translated into Russian because the notion of high quality goods for little money is unknown to them.
3. Freebie is quite the opposite. The fact of getting something cool for free does not make this cool thing any worse.
4. Those Russians who have achieved something, look down on those who haven’t.
5. It is not enough for them to drive an elite car; they need a car with a flasher and a loud horn so that the rest make way for it.
6. They persistently call lazy waitresses with a strange word ‘devushka’ meaning ‘mam’.
7. You can’t survive in the Moscow Metro without knowing how to elbow other people.
8. Everybody can buy a beer and drink it anywhere, and nobody will arrest you.
9. The Russians like hanging out in the kitchen and philosophically talk about life.
10. They avoid talking about their work.
11. Japanese people envy the dachas which Russians have.
12. At any party, the people get promptly separated according to their sex.
13. You will be shocked seeing the number of policemen patrolling the streets.
14. The Russians never throw things away. Seriously.
15. However, if you secretly throw half of the stuff away, nobody will notice it.
16. An unknown Russian is likely to address you unceremoniously ‘man’ and ‘woman’.
17. The phrase ‘I’m sorry to bother you’ can only be uttered by a beggar.
18. They never say ‘please’ or ‘thank you’.
19. Any problem can be solved by pulling strings.
20. Their saying ‘Imprudence is the second happiness’ can only be understood by them.
21. The Russians drink a lot of vodka and it is not a myth.
22. You don’t have to worry for your life, really.
23. Freezing Russian winter is a myth. The majority of the big cities are located in the temperate zone.
24. Russian men are confident that feminism causes collapse of the system like it has happened in the US and Europe.