14 Under Sail Of Hope And Krusenstern

Under Sail Of Hope And Krusenstern

Posted on October 3, 2011 by

In the late eighties early nineties in Gdynia (Poland), they built several three-master barks for different nautical schools of the USSR. ‘Nadezhda’ which means ‘hope’ in English, belongs to Maritime State University named after adm. G. I. Nevelskoy in Vladivostok. ‘Krusenstern’ was built in 1926 at Geestemunde in Bremerhaven, Germany and was surrendered to the USSR 1946 as war reparation. It is now a Russian Navy sail training ship. Here’s some description of these ships, their crews and students, and their everyday life.

‘Nadezhda’ has an iron body, 26 sails, 2 diesel engines, 50 crewmen, and 140 students. She was preparing for a trip to San Francisco. She’s really beautiful and inspiring!

14 Responses to “Under Sail Of Hope And Krusenstern”

1. too much vodka says:

I visited Krusenstern when it was visiting the port of Antwerp, really a magnificent ship.

2. Matlok says:

Very interesting post! I assume by “Americans fake smiles” they mean the habit Americans have of smiling at people they don’t know. Something that Russians, among others, do not do. When you are in America, and a stranger smiles at you on the street it is not a fake smile, it is a gesture of friendliness and good will. Where I live it is not unusual for strangers to give you a friendly wave when you pass by each other in your cars.

• Uncledoh says:

and a brillant example of that is here:

• Sean says:

I think some differences in cultures neither should be judges nor can it be understood. So, Russians do not smile a lot, because they consider it too meaningful and important gesture to be smiling all the time to strangers, are we to judge Russians? Or, are we to conclude Russians are all evil and bad? Ridiculous! Just accept the way they are. These differences might be bothering and putting some people out of comfort zone, but this is not a reason to begin a butt hurting holy war about whether this means anything, besides that it is just that Russians are a bit more serious. Ta-ta.

• DouglasU says:

In USA we try to be friendly with the people who we come into contact with, even if they are strangers.

• Otis R. Needleman says:

Indeed. I’ll bet those kids had a great time in San Francisco.

• Pedro says:

I love to travel. And I do travel A LOT. I’ve visited many countries so I’ve some experience. I’ve been in Portugal, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, United Kingdom, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Malta, Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Cape Verde, Mozambique, South Africa, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Cuba, United States of America, Canada, Japan, Russia, China, Australia, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Iran, Maldives.

Of all of those that I have visited I must say that the most hostile, where really you have to be careful, where you can’t trust people, where people are not very friendly, was USA.

The most lovely one was Portugal, really great country.
      Russia is one of my favourites, people are very helpful and friendly, most westerns have a very distorted view of Russia, it was a nice surprise, I hope to get back to see more.

3. Tom says:

Matlok is so right. Americans are a naturally friendly people.
    When a stranger smiles at you it kind of brightens your day and makes you feel a little nicer. Smiling at a stranger is very common in the U.S.

• Kiefer says:

I am glad such attitude exists nowadays, for there is a lot going on, and who would deny that life consists of such little moments? Although, of course, I would say it’s a cultural phenomenon and Russians are not used to smile a lot. Time will pass and smiles will get to the Russian. It’s a one useful habit.
      BTW, these are beautiful and utterly and absolutely breathtaking ship. Should be an education of lifetime for these young men. I wish I could see one of these tall ships coming into the port of NYC one of these days.

• geoff says:

And Australia

4. EngrishBob says:

Beautiful. Nice to see proper preservation of tradition and old skills that may well serve us in the future.

5. John says:

Ship from 1926 made in Germany, no wonder it’s still running.

6. Osip says:

“The students are listening to a lection on American people and their ‘fake’ smiles.”
    The ship is travelling to San Francisco. Perhaps they should have the lecture on ‘fake’ women.

7. Verto says:

“Fake American smile” i enjoy a lot ! ! ! ! ! ! another “ER” nice translation ! ! ! ! !