6 The Most Famous Russian Polar Icebreaker

The Most Famous Russian Polar Icebreaker

Icebreaker 'Krasin' is a museum that could be visited during the Festival of Modern art held in a traditional museum. It enables visitors to come through the live history and feel the real romance of Polar research works.

The icebreaker symbolizes a whole epoch in the history of Russia. The place is very popular both among the guests of Saint-Petersburg and its native citizens.

In the beginning of the 20th century Russia was a leading country that developed the Polar Ocean with the help of linear ice-breakers. Russian ships 'Ermak' and 'Svyatogor' were the strongest ice-breakers in the world. Ship 'Svyatogor' that was renamed into 'Krasin' later is the second Polar ice-breaker in Russia with the most perfect construction.

6 Responses to “The Most Famous Russian Polar Icebreaker”

1. ayaa says:

Poor translation. Its Polar Ocean “exploration”, not development. I mean, how can you develop a whole ocean.

2. Anon150 says:

Fantastic!

I would love some more technical detail, though.

Engines, hull thickness and construction, etc., etc.

Marvelous post.

3. Steven W Lindsey says:

I wish they would restore the “two stack” appearance… I’m glad the Russians saved this ship, the Angara and the Lenin. I wish my country appreciated its polar history as much, as we are struggling to save the USCGC Glacier and the USCGC Storis.

Steven W Lindsey
    state rep
    Keene, NH, USA

4. Hi says:

Awesome. Will have to remember to go see this if I ever visit St.Petersburg.

5. OldBikr says:

A lovely old ship with an honorable history. I can see why she is preserved.

6. ptc says:

In the movie “Red tent” there is Krasin with the old bridge superstructure (like the model and the painting on the photo), but this movie was filmed after the new steel superstructure was constructed. Does anyone know how this is possible? They didn’t dismantle half of the ship only for filming.