24 The 16th Red Banner Submarine Squadron

The 16th Red Banner Submarine Squadron

Posted on September 21, 2011 by team

The Red Banner submarine squadron was formed in 1938, but at that time it was called differently. By the way, the squadron changed its name many times. During its long and rich history, the squadron participated in WW II and several science experiments. Currently there are 20 submarines there, some of them serve in the world ocean. Today we'll step aboard the nuclear-powered cruise missile submarine 949A Chelyabinsk.

Crews do not watch their submarines, there are special guard companies to do this work.

Restricted zone in the raduis of 5 meters.

24 Responses to “The 16th Red Banner Submarine Squadron”

1. Musa says:

Great Post, thanks.

2. Scott says:

Its crazy how luxurious the interior of the sub is! A credit to Russian engineers!

• Tovarich Volk says:

That might be Officer’s Quarters, Enlisted might be substantially more spartan. Then again it might not be due to the fact that submariners stay submerged for quite long times. BTW, Off season at the water park, or are the doing maintainance?

• rostit says:

Next on ER : Abandoned Military Waterpark!

• yojimbo says:

The entire crew is allowed to use the extra they do this for morale purposes.You do not see these on Western Us or British subs although they have other means to reward submariners for the hard service they may also consider the nice things like a swimming pool to be too comfortable and harmful to strict military discipline.

It is pretty clear that the enlisted mens barracks and apartments are much much better than anything they would be able to afford if they had a civilian job or even a diffident military duty.This is different from the US military where living facilities wise it is about equal regard less of your duty.

• Tovarich Volk says:

In the US military, you can live on base in either barracks arraingements, or on base apartments, which are generally fairly decent apartments. If you choose neither of the above, you can also choose to live off-base by renting an apartment or a house. If I was in the Russian Military, I would probably not want to consider living off base after seeing to condition of Stalin/Khruschev/Brezhnev era apartment blocks, and anything built after 1991 would most likely be out of budget.

3. BlowME says:

Sign me up!

4. rostit says:

The “training simulators” looks a lot like exercise equipment.

5. eneils says:

The submarines are very impressive. They are not as large as the Typhoon class submarines, but they still appear to be quite adequate for providing space for the equipment and crew.

6. opticalsound says:

Anyone else notice testicules has been gone? Maybe he finally got to go to Georgia?

7. parabellum says:

So it should be everywhere in the army. When created normal conditions for life, only then can we expect the full impact of the Servicemen. Unfortunately, military camps for officers and their families a sad spectacle. Post skriptum even scary to imagine how much was stolen in the construction of money

8. Sean says:

I love it! So much different from antirussian propaganda, which shows Russia poor, drunk, narked, abandoned and degrading.We know that this propaganda is just showing the images torn from context, like those British documentaries, which always pick the weirdos on the street, finding some old deteriorating buildings and saying it’s Russia. I can do that in prosperous New York City as well, such that impression would be that New York is third world country town.

9. John says:

I said Lesotho, I should have said Swaziland.

10. Mitch says:

Wow, did Austin Powers decorate the sub?

11. Sean says:

Dear John, you certainly got better expertise regarding this question. I retract. Are you living in Russia or Russian? I have been to three Russian cities on my business tour from Columbia University – Moscow, St Petersburg and Novosibirsk. From what I saw I liked it. Not as beautiful as Paris (except from St Petersburg) or sleek as New York city (except for the Moscow’s downtown), but certainly very very far from the third world. Perhaps, I was wearing the pink eyeglasses.

12. Tatyana says:

John, Yes, Russia and it’s Military have a lot to correct, but it has been improving step by step, in very important things. Perhaps the last time you went to Russia was in 1995, and strangely skipped Moscow and St Petersburg…

13. ayaa says:

True, it would be nice if all military barracks were like these. All of the red-tab units are. Green-tabs, not so much. I’m guessing that you are making that assumption because all you ever see on ER are green-tabs or posts about demonstrative exercises. Only rarely are there ever red-tabs, and even then its always in the field, never on base.

14. geoff says:

The sub is great and all that, but it is sad that we humans build such massive machines to kill each other with.

15. People's Commissar says:

rear admiral deniro

16. j s says:

Putting such luxuries on naval vessels is a Russian tradition which dates back to the rule of the tzars.

17. Ballistikraft says:

“The squadron emblem. The antiaircraft division of nuclear-powered submarines, Kamchatka.”

Nope, it is anti-aircraft-carrier division.
    Nice pictures, BTW!

18. Aps says:

Yes, Russians build such machines to kill humans, especially Americans. Each statistical Russian hates other nations and, as I says above, especially Americans. They name them stupid Americans or bourgeois. I can understand in Russian every word, I visit often their sites and I know what I write here.