16 The Exhibition of Soviet Home-Made Cars

The Exhibition of Soviet Home-Made Cars

Posted on September 19, 2011 by team

In the USSR, to buy a car one had not only save money for the whole life and but also had to wait for his turn for no less than 8 years... But Russian men are never going to surrender. That's why they made cars with their own hands. Here are the pictures of such handmade works of art found and exhibited by Ilya Sorokin.

Cheetah 1966-1968

The series of similar cars were built from the parts of the ZAZ-966 and ZAZ-968.

KD 1963-1969

This is the first home-made car built by Soviet do-it-himselfers in series. The engine, transmission and suspension are taken from the ZAZ-965A. In total, only 6 cars were built.

16 Responses to “The Exhibition of Soviet Home-Made Cars”

1. Addy says:

Cool! Making cars on your own were quite popular even in our soviet republic, I saw one about a week ago. A local man is still driving with it. It´s based on parts of AZLK and LADA and made of fiberglass. Gotta love it!

2. Pakov says:

Amazing to see see Soviet era cars with windscreen wipers intact!

3. CZenda says:

The “Pangolina” was very probably inspired by Maserati Khamsin.

4. zx says:

all looks terribly ulgy

5. Brick says:

Man, these are the coolest ZAZ I’ve ever seen!

6. Muu says:

Can not prove it but some sources state that in the Soviet era it was allowed to make DIY cars but with some limitations like the engine volume up to 1.0 L and that is why the most of those cars have ZAZ engines

7. OLUT says:

This is so cool! I would love to see this some day. Several years ago I visited the Bubble Car museum in America and some of these Russian cars would be right at home. The spaceship-looking car with the frying pan is really neat, I wish I could have one like that! Except I want a real steering wheel. :)

8. Mr. Fox says:

It’s like rubbish art. :)

9. Tim says:

What a lie… you can easily buy car (of course if you normal worker, for example scientist) and you didnt have to wait 8 years.

• Menn1 says:

Dunno about that. Back in the old times, soviet in Lithuania there where a waiting time around 8 years to get the car.
      But yea, long time ago ;)

• West-Europe says:

I remember an East-German friend of mine telling me this joke.

Person 1: What is the first thing you do when you get a child?

Person 2: Registering it and giving it name?

Person 1: No, file a request for a car, by the time its the kids turn to get a car, it will surely be over 18.

10. Ruben says:

I love the KD series, i’d like to own a renovated version of one of those.

11. aaa says:

ER should stop lying. Anyone could buy a car, they weren’t expensive at all. But you did have to sit in a waiting list, however the waiting was not long and definitely not 8 years LOL

12. scot says:

I had thought cars were rare too – but from a history book ” Cars for Comrades” Seigelbaum

“‘In 1963, there were some seventy thousand individually owned cars in Moscow and all of eight STOs [service stations, distinct from simple petrol stations]; by 1980, the number of service stations had increased to thirteen, but the number of cars had risen to an estimated 250,000’.”

13. vax says:

Soviet-time homemade car from Estonia, “Taksikoer”(Badger dog). The engine is 650cc Ural with watercooled cylinders and automotive generator.

14. This is very fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to in the hunt for more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!