32 How Pelmeni Are Made

How Pelmeni Are Made

Posted on September 13, 2011 by team

Today we’ll visit a plant of prepared food “Siberian Gourmet” and examine all production stages from the mincemeat making till the packing of ready products and their delivery to storehouse. Besides meat dumplings the plant produces pancakes, cutlets and khinkali.

It is definitely necessary to wash your hands before entering production shops.

“Siberian Gourmet” takes leading positions from the Urals to the Far East in terms of volume of sold products in various price categories. The volume of production is up to 80 tons in a day, and 25 000 tons per year. Every day over 100,000 people buy ready products of the company and about 1,200 people work here. Production stages include control of all input raw materials, cooking, quality control of dough, filling, shaping, its intermediate control, freezing, packing…

The room for storage of flour. It keeps flour for the whole production, and there it is automatically sifted.

32 Responses to “How Pelmeni Are Made”

1. moo says:

Man I love pelmeni!

2. Mr. Fox says:

All look delicious.

I want to buy russian food in my country.
    But sadly, it is hard to find… :(

• Akasha says:

Don’t you have russian/eastern european supermarkets, at least tiny ones?

Here in germany we have even a supermarket chain which provides mostly russian food, what an excellent business idea.

I like pelmeni, but I’ve only tasted fresh made ones and mostly they are much better than ready-made.
      My family is from poland and over there pelmeni are pierogi, and they must be fresh made, otherwise they are disgusting.

• historian says:

Not for real thats just not true. There are a lot of trade marks which make excellent frozen pelmeni, but as a pole living in germany you shouldnt even talk about russia..

• historian says:

Where should I go back? Im writing from russia? Do you have some intellectual problems?

Yes as a russophob you shouldnt stop wrting here, most of the stuff you write is just wrong because you know nothing about russia. As this comment is the evidence.

• historian says:

I will decide for me where I should go and stay, little russphob girl.

• Akasha says:

Do whatever makes you happy – I’ve traveled through most parts of russia and europe, but it seems that you have never left your country or the eastern part to meet other people, you’re behaving way too childish.

And at least I’m learning your language (beside 3 other ones), I can’t see you trying to understand other people & cultures and communicating with them without being insulting.

• anony mouse says:

just wait for a couple of years and Russia will buy your country – then it will be easier

• Archy Bunka says:

Missing good food is the hardest part of leaving home, isn’t it…

3. Matlok says:

Very interesting post!

4. Robert says:

where do you live Mr. Fox?
    well here in DC mmmm i dont know but in NY yes we dont have russian stores like the indian or chinese or korean

5. historian says:

pelmeni ftw and close behind wareneki!

6. Steamed McQueen says:

Pelmeni! The choice of toddlers and bachelors everywhere in Russia!

Damn I miss the place…

7. perristalsis says:

Strange to see food handlers not wearing gloves on the assembly line. There are exceptions though like if tongs or spatulas are used it’s o.k. Still, I don’t think any processor in the States will let you go glove-less, even if you just stack the packaged food- fear of litigation I think.

• kalamona says:

as far as i know, handmade dumplings nearly impossible to do in gloves

anyway, there i see no problem with it, as long as there is proper cleannes (hands and workplace)

and i think, they achieved it – the whole place looks neat

and im hungry now

(hm, refrigerated pancakes? sounds weird, but i like pancakes, so…)

• perristalsis says:

“as far as i know, handmade dumplings nearly impossible to do in gloves”… This is a familiar argument manufacturers use to avoid the extra costs associated with “gloving up” a production line. There are indeed gloves designed for tactile sensitivity, look at what surgeons use, where sense of feel is vital. The public has got to stop swallowing the B.S. manufacturers give out if they expect to improve the quality of their lives.

8. Otis R. Needleman says:

Heck, most countries have their equivalents of pelmeni. Go to Korea, you have mandu, stuffed dumplings, or China, or Japan, where they are called gyoza.

9. Anon150 says:

A beautiful, state-of-the-art-facility producing TONS of healthy food!

Question: What is a Pelmini, and a… Khinkali?

I’m sure they’re delightful, and if you ask the factory for a bit of history, some recipes, and what to drink with these, you’d have international orders by the end of next week!

Seriously? Whole animals for mince and broth and whatnot?

I’m in! Whatever they are!

10. al says:

Pretty darn clean factory, and modern, too. But what are those animals? Is that lamb? Or goat? Or some strange mutant creature developed 40 years agon in an East German lab?

11. DouglasU says:

too many hands in contact with the product…..needs to be automated a lot more.

• perristalsis says:

Doug U, my observation as from above: Strange to see food handlers not wearing gloves on the assembly line. There are exceptions though like if tongs or spatulas are used it’s o.k. Still, I don’t think any processor in the States will let you go glove-less, even if you just stack the packaged food- fear of litigation I think………..This got me three bombs, so I thumbs up yours.

• yojimbo says:

That is about as automated as a food producing facility can get this place is on par with any 1st world western facility.Beyond that you just have to promote safe handling practices.

12. Kurtis Blow says:

Wait, where’s the girl from the first picture ?

13. Ivana Benderova says:

MMMMMmmmmm I loves me some pelmeni!

14. kol of altai says:

English Russia is largely prone to aggressive stupidity, biased and slanted when it comes to its perspective on Russia. Whomever is responsible for this blog has an outmoded ‘cold war’ mentality that’s little short of idiotic.

15. Saman says:

Hi,
    While I was looking for a Pelmeni factory to get the representative of Pelmeni here in Iran I encountered your web site. Would you please guide me how I can find a Pelmeni factory in Russia or other countries near Iran like Armenia?
    Thank you very much.