The Zhigulevskaya Hydroelectric Power Plant (also known as the Volga HPP) located on the Volga river is the second most powerful HPP of the Volga-Kama Cascade. Let’s see ourselves if it’s really that good as it’s usually described.
The construction of the Zhigulevskaya HPP began in 1950 and ended in 1957. The territory of the plant is huge. 7-8 hours aren’t enough to look everything around. The main building (pictured) is 700 m long.
The red line in the picture marks the roof of the main building and the road on the side of the headrace.
From the roof of the building one can see very well all sorts of colorful strips of metal with an electric current flowing through them.
This crane serves for lifting and lowering repair closures. This is necessary in order to be able to block the water when the turbine is being repaired.
The view in the direction of the headrace. In the distance one can see a museum (which is very interesting, by the way), a gantry crane (which lifts and lowers the lattices designed for water filtration) and a distribution system (which delivers electricity to consumers).
The Zhigulevskaya HPP regulates the water flow in the Volga and creates favorable conditions for the irrigation of the large areas of arid lands. The electricity generated by the plant is carried by four high-voltage lines (500 kV each).