The Southwestern Railway is one of the major thoroughfares of Ukraine and it has the second highest volume of traffic among other railways. The road mainly serves northern and northwestern regions of the country, stretching through them for 4,500 km. The name “Southwestern” remained from pre-revolutionary times. The road construction was begun in the 60s of the XIX century, when it became necessary to connect the port of Odessa and the Russian southwestern borders with central regions. 1870 is considered to be the date of birth of the Southwestern Railway. Now there are 315 railway stations, more than 90% of the traffic are made by use of the electric traction.
Entering the museum, a visitor gets into a corridor that looks like a passage of a compartment car – there are handrails and windows with landscapes.
This corridor goes to a cabin with a remote control panel of the electric locomotive ChS4.
The museum is divided into several rooms, each of them describes a certain period of the railway life.
Here, for example, you can learn something about the beginning of the road history.
The arrival of the first train at the station Kiev-Passenger is depicted on a big picture on the wall . The station building then was quite different.