28 Garbage In The Heads

Garbage In The Heads

This post is devoted to garbage problem in Kazakhstan. Garbage left in the street alongside with barbarian attitude to nature around us, our dwellings and even our lives are closely related to simple rules of upbringing. It is sometimes enough to take a brush to change a life to the better.

Larisa starts her working day early in the morning. She has been working as a loader at a state enterprise for 7 years already.

28 Responses to “Garbage In The Heads”

1. Fossil says:

Lots of garbage is a result of lots of spending in a throw-away society. These people seem to be financially well off.

2. BlowME says:

Instead of walking through the streets pointlessly with garbage bags on their heads like a bunch of douches they should have collected garbage..

3. George Johnson says:

One of these days, those garbage pits will become the next big “mine.” People will be mining them for things like precious metals and rare earth metals.

People throw away those ear bud headphones without thinking, and they contain rare earth magnets. And, we’re probably the only society in history that has just thrown away precious metals like gold, voluntarily. (computers, electronics etc… just about all contain gold and other precious metals).

So we throw it away and bury it today, but tomorrow we will pay people to mine it for us.

4. testicules says:

Isn’t this a european thing? It seems that they are less environmentally sensitive.

5. SMERSH says:

I wish I was that teddy-bear.

6. marxistworker says:

Has there ever been a post of Soviet times with scenes like these? When people are enslaved in a system of continuous cut-throat competition for jobs, money, status, and/or material items the majority simply don’t care about their environment. Everywhere in the world capitalism rules, you will see this (including China).

• SMERSH says:

All the street view photos from Soviet times were carefully censored. You couldn’t just go about willy-nilly- snapping pictures in the cities. Furthermore, the USSR had the worst environmental record of any civilization in history. The messes they made in those 70 years will take trillions of dollars and many generations to clean up.

• (r)evolutionist says:

Picky, picky. But I think he’s right. One always saw elderly women sweeping the streets early in the morning. And I knew a dude who came from communist Romania who said things were always kept clean. I see what you’re talking about (factories) but I think he was referring to neighborhood maintenance.

7. (r)evolutionist says:

The last “publicity” photos are not needed. Pollution is a tragedy, not a comedy.

8. Archy Bunka says:

First we have revolution and then we stop garbage collection.

9. alessio says:

I would like to comment but Napoli isn’t that perfect either.
    anyway plastic can be recycled and dump holes can be used as bio gas plants

10. Scott says:

Just wondering – How much domestic recycling goes on in the US ?

It is increasingly seen as a civic duty in large parts of Europe. Although, I’m not convinced that industry makes the most of it yet. And folk get all NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) when a bio-digestion plant is discussed. Sheesh I’d rather have bio-digestion nearby than another new nuclear reactor any day!

I’m impressed by the civic duty of the peeps that clean this particular up though :-)

• SMERSH says:

Recycling is pretty much commonplace in the US. Most homes in urban areas have recycling container pick up along with regular garbage service. Most disposable containers and all major electronics have a recycling deposit added in to the purchase price that can only be redeemed when the items are recycled. It’s been this way for bottles and cans for nearly 60 years. Fast food restaurants have been forced to stop using styrofoam and many cities have banned those plastic shopping bags.

• Scott says:

thnx SMERSH, I thought it had to be that way too. Now all we need to do is persuade industry to make better use of this valuable resource.

11. OLUT says:

That’s good those people are protesting the garbage problem. The publicity photos are a good idea. Maybe people will be inspired to stop littering. (I hope the protesters also clean up litter instead of just protesting. If they don’t, I will agree they are just douches.)

I wonder what could be, and has been done, about the litter. Are there enough public garbage cans? Do people get fined for littering? Is there any recycling program available? Is there garbage pickup service that comes to your house every week? Those things would probably help, if they don’t have theme yet. I do hope the situation improves and I believe it will.

12. Toemailer says:

Garbage is a global problem – excellent photo essay on the issue!

13. JZ says:

Those garbage-heads shold throw those bags away with their heads in em’, will actualy do a society good.

14. Ivanko says:

No comment – as far I am aware it is a selected set of photographs.

We have places like this in North America and Canada. Personally, I think if there was one bad thing about the Soviet Union it was the misdirection of labour and capital to the ‘colonies’.

If capital and labour wasn’t being sucked into the black holes that were the Central Asian SSRs, maybe the housing situation in the European SSRs would have improved.

I know if Khruschev didn’t waste waste tractors in Kazakhstan (virgin campaign) and instead put them in Southern Russia and Ukraine and maybe the food situation wouldn’t have been as bad and that could have made a world of difference to the actual Proletariat.

That’s the unfortunate thing about socialism is that a lot of professional have nots are rewarded.

Wasn’t it Lenin who said “he who does not work does not eat?” – it seems like there were a lot of those in the Central Asian SSRs and Caucauses.

• says:

Capital in the Soviet Union??? LOL dude wtf are you talking abou— wait. Gah, you’re right, it’s true. Sadly -.-

15. testicules says:

Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!

16. Anon150 says:

Sadly, it will probably take an outbreak of dysentary or cholera or any of the other garbage or garbage-eating (rats, roaches, etc.) vectors to wake people up.

I hope I’m wrong.

17. Ostyak-Vogul says:

This city is NOT called Aqtobe. It is called AKTYUBINSK.
    And it’s a shame to see how the cemeteries are kept… My grand father deported there by Stalin is buried there. Fortunately, we have family in AKTYUBINSK to clean the grave monthly.

18. testicules says:

19. Rurik says:

After having visited Kazakhstan and seen the way they treat their own communities, even monuments to their own fallen dead in the Soviet war in Afghanistan, I can come to no other conclusion but that they are an inferior culture. This type of disregard has nothing to do with capitalism. Look downward, while flying Eastward from a country like Switzerland and you will see the sophistication of roads, villages, and all infrastructure slowly devolve into chaos. The Kazakhs have the misery they make for themselves.