A cooperative farm Giant organized in the Kazakh prairie in 1931 occupied 17 thousand hectares of land. That was an enterprise that broke the fates of 6 million political and military prisoners called People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs (NKVD).
The cross is installed 25 km away from the city of Karaganda at the border of the camp where thousands of political and later military prisoners were kept in extremely bad conditions. According to official data, over 5 000 of them were buried in a collective grave.
There is no place for lie and oblivion. The place is quite and scary.
‘A monument to oppressed people from Belarus’
NKVD consumed people without considering what their nationality is.
The grim silence is eventually broken by the bell.
The camp included different camps and special zones. The camps for military prisoners and camps for wifes of the Motherland’s traitors were the largest ones.
Its total area is equal to that of France.Â After the camp was closed all the buildings were destroyed, a military unit was dislocated here.
A monument to a soldier of the military unit.
The prisoners were engaged in excavation of stones used in road construction. The work had to be done manually. People died of hunger, cold and physical exhaustion. Others were killed by the guards.
The walls are very firm. People who died during construction were buried under the walls.
Following the decision of camp construction local population was evicted from the territory. They were also deprived of their cattle which meant starvation for most of them.
The valley was surrounded with a barbed wire. Up to 1980 entry was allowed by pass.
After the camp was eliminated just the wire was left.