21 To The Motherland Of Tamerlan

To The Motherland Of Tamerlan

Posted on July 27, 2011 by kulichik

Let’s visit an ancient Uzbekistan town Shakhrisabz located in 80 km to the south from Samarkand. It is world-famous as the motherland of Tamerlan, the greatest commander and a statesman who made it the second capital of his huge medieval empire in XIV c.

The mountain pass which is 2000 meters high leads to the city.

21 Responses to “To The Motherland Of Tamerlan”

1. perristalsis says:

Learn something new every time I visit this site:
    tabasco, a pepper plant touted as being grown on Avery island, is also grown in Central and South America. Makes one fine spice sauce!

2. testicules says:

So that is where Tobasco comes from. I always thought it was from Louisianna

3. Akasha says:

I’d like to visit such a market, especially the fabrics look interesting.

But the custom of women carrying all the bags really bothers me, says a lot about the picture of women within a culture.

4. Musa says:

They look like a very happy people. I don’t blame them for reclining and napping in the heat of the day, hot weather takes a lot out of you physically.

I don’t agree with the way they are handling raw meat. Evidently it doesn’t affect their health all that much.

5. moo says:

If that’s a ford what kind is it?

6. Tippi-Simo says:

Nice pics.

Society where women are carrying bags instead of nagging is the right place to be for me.

7. Anon 150 says:

What amazing faces!

Ranging from middle eastern, to asiatic to the-guy-down-the-block!

I’m going to have to look up some more on the history of the nationalities and ethnicities that have passed through here!

Thanks for this piece!

8. pizd says:

That is tobacco, not tobasco.

The meat is quite fine. This is how meat was handled since the beginning of time. Humans have only had refrigeration for a very short period of time.

• perristalsis says:

I can buy that, the typo tobacco vs tobasco is only one letter away. Still, it made for an interesting discovery about how the tobasco plant is managed.

9. (r)evolutionist says:

If this dude is your national hero, I feel sorry for you.

10. Yanov Uskhar says:

It is alarmingly apparent that these people do not have any appreciation for political correctness.How can they survive with this attitude?

11. Giang Tran says:

very interesting pics, people are really happy with their life. love it

12. Akskl says:

Food is very delicious there.
    Army of Tamerlan (Temurleng) actually was made of Turkic nomads. Modern Uzbeks is a mixture of the Turkic nomads (like modern Kazakhs and Kirgizs) and the settled Iranian-speaking local population, who traditionally were called Sarts (like modern Tajiks).

13. René De Beaumarchais says:

Good ethnic diversity is former Soviet countries.

14. testicules says:

last!

15. USSR says:

Great pictures! Always wanted to visit Central Asia.But where are the uzbek womens signature colored silk dresses? They don’t wear those anymore ?I saw that fabriconly in 2 pics. The first was woman in the gold market sitting back to the camera, but dress had green and yellow colors. Second the watermelon sellers had that fabric made to pillows.