29 Way To The North Pole

Way To The North Pole

Posted on July 7, 2011 by team

What does a trip from Russia to the North Pole usually start with? Boarding the world's first nuclear-powered icebreaker "Lenin", entering the territory of the Russian Nuclear Fleet (great fun), observing the interiors of the icebreaker which will carry you to the destination, photographing neighboring vessels... And finally, the most pleasant part, going out into the open water and admiring amazing views!

All the tourists gather at the appointed time. Their luggage is loaded into the truck and transported to the icebreaker. The tourists go there by bus.

In every city there is a place where people like to come on their wedding day. In Murmansk, this place is the Lenin.

29 Responses to “Way To The North Pole”

1. AJW says:

A good ship that is well maintained – I would love to do that trip, but one suspects it is expensive.

2. testicules says:

Interesting post. Would have been better if more actual north pole pics.

That sick bay looks pretty worn and dirty. I’d be afraid to have an operation in there.

3. Conrad says:

I visited Lenin on 8 March! Mighty ship !

4. YJ says:

Neat, how do I book a trip like this.

5. OLUT says:

Polar bears!

6. marxistworker says:

I’d make the cost of admission the ability to actually relate some history of Comrade Lenin and his time (1870-1924). Something tells me not many people would pass muster.

• Archy Bunka says:

I WOULD I WOULD!

• marxistworker says:

I believe you. Today was another “sunset” for the U.S. I believe the 1950s-60s were the peak of both the U.S. and Russia/U.S.S.R. China, India, and Brazil will have this era. The U.S. and Russia will be with G.B., Germany, and Japan in a second tier.

• Archy Bunka says:

MW, you make a statement without any evidence to support your opinion. Most would place the height of American power around the moon landings. But oh, weren’t we riding high just a few years ago?
          The fact is my friend, of the group you list I see only China as any real competition at all.
          China is in the Second Communist Dynasty right now, unless they can curb the greed and corruption, China will suffer the fate China always seems to suffer eventually.

• marxistworker says:

Remember Arch, I’m a worker not an academic but from what I’ve read and from watching NOW and Bill Moyers Journal (when they were on air in the 90s and 00s) I learned that real wages (for working people-not the wealthy) have fallen or stagnated since 1980, the poverty level has risen, the Middle Class has contracted, and health and education has declined. The boom in the 1990s didn’t include the Middle Class. It was a boom for multimillionaires and their children. Your banker got wealthier, did you (after inflation)? In the 1960s we had U.S.Steel- today we have WalMart. In the 1960s we had GM-today we have Google. Have does Google expand a Middle Class? The prosperity of the U.S. was brought about by the semi-Socialism of the New Deal and unions. The decline of the U.S. was brought about by laissez-faire capitalism (corporations abandoning the U.S. and deregulation). The conservatives moan about the New Deal and the Great Society but seem brain dead to corporations fleeing to China, Mexico, Indonesia, etc. If the New Deal was evil Socialism why did it make the U.S. so successful in the 1950-60s? Testicules answered me in a previous post that the U.S. today has a lot of small manuf. THAT’S the problem! Picture China in the 1990s with the corner shop where workers toiled with no Gov’t. oversight, no healthcare, no insurance, no wage increases. Picture India in the 1990s-00s with the same scene. Is that progress? The President calls our service economy a mature economy. Well, he’s wealthy and doesn’t have to work in a restaurant or motel or cash-checking joint. I call our economy a decrepit octogenarian (ruined by capitalism).

• (r)evolutionist says:

I dig what you’re saying but I think everyone else has moved on to the Playboy Bunnies!

• testicules says:

You’re forgetting though that the structure of the American economy and the American psyche it to always be looking for something better. This economy has always re-invented itself. Americans are looking for the next opportunity, Europeans are looking for the next tragedy. America will just reinvent itself all over again. Just like after the world wars, the civil war, etc.

• Nergol says:

I can pass! I’d tell you all about Lenin’s murders, repressions, and tyranny! It’d take me so long to get through it all that we’d be at the North Pole before I was done!

7. Musa says:

I have wondered what life would be like on this ship. Thank you Mr. Dolya and ER for the posting.

8. (r)evolutionist says:

She’s been to the North Pole 40 times. Ah, but how many times has she been to Graceland?

9. opticalsound says:

North Pole: “I’m melting, melting….”

10. Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. The scary thing is the Norwegians and Swedes have military personnel stationed in the Arctic and now Russia is going to do so. The North may heat up quickly, all the northern nations are vying for position, even China has laid claim to the resources of the Arctic, don’t ask me how, since the map does not place China, or any subdivision thereof, north of the Arctic Circle.

• testicules says:

Yes the battle for resources up there is heating up. Of course the Chinese would lay claim to any piece of land. They are vultures

• Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. I was thinking, now that the Chinese can place a man in orbit, would it be possible for the ISS to place an order for General Tso’s chicken and maybe some dumplings?

• People's Commissar says:

Chinese just want to eat everything there.

11. Now they are saying polar bears originated in Ireland.The only thing Ireland is noted for is the fact that the Irish drink as much as the Russians do.

12. manta says:

Does anyone know how much that trip (of course on the Lenin) would cost ?

13. mihaijtr says:

Hi, I also would really like to know how much the trip costs and if it’s available for everybody… thanks, great shots btw

14. Peter Zoltai says:

I’m so proud now, the BRG SHR-116, the 16 channel recorder was made in Hungary at the Budapesti Rádiótechnikai Gyár. :-) Besides, as a radio-amateur, I’ve stored the small electronic parts in the exact same way: in matchboxes glued together.

Regards:
    Peter (Budapest, Hungary)

15. People's Commissar says:

Polar bears come from Russia!

16. testicules says: