We’ve got many posts about Russian army. However, someone believes that the propaganda of strong Russia on federal channels often differs radically from the actual situation. While other countries hide their real power, Russia (in the absence of any) shows off all more or less embodied projects. Just recently the invention of a new plane was accompanied by a colorful show with a fanfare – an event for the country… but seems to be a mockery for the whole world.
So let’s look through the eyes of a casual observer how looks a prestigious military unit in the small town of Gvardeisky. That is so to say the starting point of a recruit on his way to becoming a defender of the Motherland…
1. A training unit “Landysh” (“Lily of the valley”). The place from where Russia dictates its indomitable will to the rest of the world community.
2. The parade ground. Soldiers are dressed like a gang of makhnovists. Trendy camouflage loses its color after 2-3 washes and becomes like dirty khaki smeared in oil.
3. Commanders. According to one soldier, these ones are good. But there is some major in the unit who is a big fan of slot machines and who regularly steals the soldiers’ cellphones.
4. A man on duty in barracks.
5. These are exemplary barracks where the photographer was allowed to come in. Other barracks which are in much worse condition (without a single stool and a bedside table) turned out to have limited access.
The soldiers of this unit are allowed to bathe once a week but since there is no bathhouse on the territory, they are driven to the neighboring unit. The problem is that 50 soldiers stuffed into the Ural Kung sweat so much on the way back that there is probably no point in such bathing.
In such circumstances, being unable to tidy themselves up, every wound and scratch festers. A paramedic doesn’t even have elementary brilliant green antiseptic. There are even no buckets to get the water from a faucet to wash. Two of them are used simultaneously for washing floor, doing laundry and keeping the trash.
6. Some more showing off. The operation called “The attack on the unit”.
The funny thing is that bullet-proof vests and arms are kept in separate barracks. As a result, only about 15 minutes after the beginning of the attack, the quick reaction group was ready to protect its borders. Needless to say that 10-15 seconds are usually enough for a well-prepared team.