16 The Most Beautiful and Mysterious Part of Georgia

The Most Beautiful and Mysterious Part of Georgia

Posted on June 26, 2011 by team

Svaneti is one of the most beautiful parts of Georgia and the highest inhabited area in the Caucasus. It’s sometimes called the “land of thousand towers” and its mountains hide the centuries of old culture, history and traditions. More details after the jump.

The main attraction of Svaneti is its defensive towers. The “youngest” of them is more than 700 years. Such towers served as small family fortresses and were used during frequent conflicts. In peacetime, Svan families lived in nearby houses.

16 Responses to “The Most Beautiful and Mysterious Part of Georgia”

1. TrulyRestlessSoul says:

Spectacular place! I would like to go there

2. bvir says:

Many years ago, I watched a silent Soviet movie from the 1920s that apparently was shot in that region. The images of those mountain villages with their towers was eerie. The film scenario involved feuds among tower-owning villagers, and there was a spectacular scene of villagers rushing to harvest their wheat because of sudden snow storm in the middle of the summer. The film ended with a soviet brigade building a road and connecting the secluded place to the rest of the world.

In case a friendly Russian knows the title and director of that movie, I would appreciate very much the information.

3. Barrie says:

Second to last photo; looks as though a tsunami has eroded the shore line typical of mountain areas, big slide of rock into pond causes huge wave. Can anybody verify this as so? Has anybody else noticed how much longer it takes to load since they changed the front page, lets go back to the older faster one, please.

• Tatty says:

More likely it is a half empty reservoir (probably hydro-electric given the 3x powerlines), very few waves would have such a high and constant reach.

4. petrohof says:

i suspect the film title may have been ‘maiden tower legend’

In 1923 the Azerbaijan Photo Film Institution (APFI) was established by a special decree of the Council of People’s Commissars. The Institution controlled all the movie houses and distribution bureaus. Thus, a new epoch in the history of Azerbaijani cinema began – a period when Soviet ideology, not individual entrepreneurship, dominated the film industry.

APFI shot its first film in 1924. This film was the first Azerbaijani Soviet and was based on legend about Maiden Tower.

5. testicules says:

Shameful that this place is in such disrepair. I have seen similar towersin the Himilayas.

6. vtl says:

Gorgeous! The towers remind me of San Gimignano, though the surrounding landscape is of course much more dramatic here.

• Song Of Beltane says:

They do me too. These towers look fascinating. I wonder if some are still safe to go into? I would love to go exploring them.

7. Chico says:

Looks nice, but where are the hot girls..

• Musa says:

Didn’t you get the memo? Man, this is BYOHC, Bring Your Own Hot Chica territory. Their’s all left, that’s why you don’t see any.

8. Bill says:

You may be thinking of the film “Salt For Svanetia”.

9. kutaisov says:

Such a wonderful place!! I have to visit it at least one time.

Great photos too, congratulations for the post.

10. prince says:

Want to spend the summer there.
    Its look so peaceful.

11. studmuffin says:

I must go some time,,, I think I know of a guide who migght take me.

12. allyako says:

the world is beautiful :D

13. An Outhouse says:

What time of year were the photos taken? It looks like spring but at that elevation I’m never sure.