The Shukhov Tower is one of the world's most beautiful and remarkable achievements of engineering. Despite the fact that the tower is an architectural monument, it doesn't have access to tourists. It is located in a closed area, so to get there you'll have to have great powers of persuasion.
To begin with, a beautiful panorama from the observation platform.
Click on the picture to view larger image.
1. The Shukhov tower is a unique hyperboloid structure, designed in a form of a steel lattice shell. Located in Moscow. Built in 1920-1922. The author of the project is a great Russian engineer, an architect and a scientist, Vladimir Shukhov. The tower has been recognized as one of the most beautiful and remarkable achievements of engineering in the world.
2. The tower is located in the closed area, so the tourists are not able to approach. The elevator leads to the top.
4. Shukhov was the first who designed the world's first hyperboloid lattice structures. Now their principle is widely used in hundreds of different facilities: water towers, power transmission towers, masts of warships.
5. The elevator is set in motion by this engine.
7. Now there is no transmitting equipment on the tower, only the antenna of mobile operators.