11 A Plane Crash In Karelia

A Plane Crash In Karelia

Posted on June 23, 2011 by kulichik

The Tu-134 crash near Petrozavodsk in north-west Russia was reported on June 21, 2011 by an eyewitness from a village nearby. The plane flew from Moscow to the northern city of Petrozavodsk. 44 people out of those 52 aboard couldn’t survive in the crash.

Various possible causes for the accident are being studied, including a human error. A criminal case and investigation have been opened.

11 Responses to “A Plane Crash In Karelia”

1. TrulyRestlessSoul says:

I watched this on the news. Very tragic. Amazing that anyone made it out alive

2. testicules says:

I am very happy for the survivors. Condolences to those that lost someone. Unfortunately, Russia has a bad safety record when it comes to commercial airlines.

3. Musa says:

This is horrible, I’m surprised myself that anyone survived this crash at all. May the poor souls who died rest in peace.

4. Otis R. Needleman says:

What a shame. I am sorry.

5. Kilroy Was Here says:

So horribly sad. God bless the ones that didn’t make it – and give their families strength…

6. geekWithA.45 says:

This is a tragedy, and I pray for the victims and their families.

In 2003, I was aboard a couple of Tu-134A s flying the Russian Interior. The data plate on one said it had been built in 1964. I respectfully submit that they are antiquated death traps by any standard, and likely wouldn’t have passed American safety standards of even the mid to late 60’s.

Think “city bus with wings”, and you’ll get the idea. No emergency oxygen, the overhead luggage is restrained with a rope, and a wrench and knotted rope are helpfully provided so you can unbolt the escape hatch and climb out.

I’m not kidding in the slightest.

• JZ says:

Unlike most crashes with a newer airplane models there are, fortunately, survivors here and it wasn’t a mechanical issue but a human factor and bad weather conditions responsible for this tragedy.
      May all those unfortunate souls rest in peace.

7. Bozha says:

Fraternal condolences to the Russian people

8. jean says:

tragic

9. mukmika says:

The pictures show the horror of this awful accident. Condolences to those affected, and may the victims rest in peace.

10. D says: