21 The Kolomna Palace As the 8th Wonder Of the World

The Kolomna Palace As the 8th Wonder Of the World

Posted on June 20, 2011 by team

This original wooden palace was built in 1667 -1672, it amazed noblemen and foreign ambassadors with its splendour, so they even named the palace "the eighth wonder of the world". Unfortunately, 100 years after the palace construction was demolished because of its decrepitude, and only by the command of Empress Catherine II a wooden model of the palace was created before its dismantling. Nowadays the palace recontruction is possible with the help of this model. The Kolomna palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich opened its doors on the 4th of September, 2010. The appearance of the palace is almost identical to that from old images.

The main volume of constructional works of the "old" palace was made by an carpentels' artel under the leadership of Senka Petrov and Ivashko Mikhailov. The best artists of Moscow and other cities were employed at all stages of the construction. Paintings of the palace interior were created by masters of the Armory.

The wooden palace created in the 17th century was designed primarily to show to Russians and foreign guests the grandeur of the tzar's power.

21 Responses to “The Kolomna Palace As the 8th Wonder Of the World”

1. testicules says:

I used to live there but having to hire so much staff was a pain.

2. Ivan says:

one more atractión for tourists that nothing has to do with the real history, reconstructed with concreet, in the wrong place, the interiors are invented now and blah, blah, blah… hope it´s the last “blah” of the luzhkov epoc.

3. pizd says:

Amazing palace. Probably never get to see it in my lifetime, so thanks to ER.

4. Otis R. Needleman says:

Impressive.

5. OLUT says:

Too bad they don’t have a portion that is apartments, it would be a cool place to live.

6. Musa says:

Very Impressive. The “leaf” shaped shake-type shingles used on the roof is beautiful with the shades of green and brown as a normal tree would have. That’s a great idea. I have noticed that the same “leaf” shaped shake-type shingle is used on other Russian structures. I really like it and was wondering if anyone might know, is it wood or other man made material that is used on this fantastic looking palace? I wish I could find it in the United States. I have seen the same leaf pattern used but on some buildings it looks a metal of some kind and other’s it looks like wood.

• Musa says:

I guess that would be a blue-green color along with the greens and browns/tans.

• Babysitter says:

These planks are indeen wooden, usually made of aspen wood. They are called “lemekh” and you could see them covering the famous Church of the Transfiguration on Kizhi island.

7. Cpt. Obvious says:

How was it heated? This begs for burning…

8. Gr@y says:

Awesome!

Especially of note are the baths – cultured Russians of old times used to be clean and fresh, while European hypocrites were filthy and smelly! How nice that Peter the Great was clever enough not to westernize Russia too much!

• Mike says:

Back in the 17th century, Communist-inflected anti-foreigner propaganda of that sort wasn’t thought of.

Cultured – by which you mean “rich” – Russians of those days might have kept themselves clean; but almost all Russians back then were illiterate uncultured peasants and as filthy as any Frenchman.

Yes I’m English – here in England, we’re aware that historically, we’re cleaner than the average European. But how come?

Back when the Vikings were invading England, the local girls often preferred Vikings to Englishmen because the Vikings washed more often (i.e., once a week). That hygienic Norse culture (which affected the British Isles at least as much as Russia) is probably exactly the same cultural influence which caused rich Russians to end up cleaner than average.

9. Richard W. says:

When I win the lottery, I will buy it and fill the girl section once again and have all the rest for me, ofcourse a few servants and internet. I will never wear cloths again, and pee on the floor wherever I want.

10. An Outhouse says:

Exquisite! What are the roofs constructed from? Tiles?

11. mir_na_karte says:

Awful translation and the palace is located in Moscow!!!

12. Molnia says:

Whose bright idea was it to install air-conditioning vents?!