This original wooden palace was built in 1667 -1672, it amazed noblemen and foreign ambassadors with its splendour, so they even named the palace “the eighth wonder of the world”. Unfortunately, 100 years after the palace construction was demolished because of its decrepitude, and only by the command of Empress Catherine II a wooden model of the palace wasÂ created before its dismantling. Nowadays the palace recontruction is possible with the help of this model. The Kolomna palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich opened its doors on the 4th of September, 2010. The appearance of the palace is almost identical to that from old images.
The main volume of constructional works of the “old” palace was made by an carpentels’ artel under the leadership of Senka Petrov and Ivashko Mikhailov. The best artists of Moscow and other cities were employed at all stages of the construction. Paintings of the palace interior were created by masters of the Armory.
The wooden palace created in the 17th century was designed primarily to show to Russians and foreign guests the grandeur of the tzar’s power.
The modern palace (as its previous version) has 270 rooms with the area of â€‹â€‹7239 square meters. At present interiors of only 24 rooms were recreated. 226 people of 20 different professions were involved in this recreation.
At the times of Aleksei Mikhailovich the palace was not only a place of rest, but the main country residence of Russian emperors. There were meetings of the Boyar Duma, “exterminated” later by Peter I, councils, diplomatic receptions and army parades.
The modern palace is not completely wooden in contrast to the original version. All constructions are now solid, reinforced concrete and they are edged with logs.
Aleksei Mikhailovich’s palace is a complex maze of rooms connected by passages.
Woods for theÂ construction were brought from the Krasnoyarsk region, then treated by Vladimir masters, and then were transported to Moscow.
The palace was divided into two parts: male and female. Accordingly, women could not go to the male half, and even the tzar went to the female half, to his tsarina only in case of special needs.
It is strange but the female half of the royal family, in fact, was sitting under lock and key and even the tsarina was not be allowed to leave the palace. Their only occupations were crafts and prayers.
The tsar, tsarina, tsarevitches and tsarevnas had separate rooms in the palace with separate entrances and exits, and additional rooms for servants , maids and nannies.
The palace is not recreated in its original place. It was considered that the palace contruction near the Church of Ascension would provoke crowds of people in one place.