14 The Symbol of Heroism and Tragedy of Sevastopol

The Symbol of Heroism and Tragedy of Sevastopol

Posted on June 17, 2011 by team

30. Inside, they look the same as in those terrible days. Just some inscriptions on the burned by the war walls were added by vandals.

31. A rusty ladder leading from the dungeon to the tower. Staples are barely held.

32. The dungeon.

33. The same observation post but in spring.

34. Some of the few windows…

35. The panorama inside the gun block of former tower № 2.

36. The same gun block in winter.

Location: Sevastopol

via aquatek-filips

Please help English Russia stay online! Support and have all pictures on one page: click here

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

14 Responses to “The Symbol of Heroism and Tragedy of Sevastopol”

1. testicules says:

Pretty cool place. Probably should have strategically retreated before they did. Would have avoided more casualties.

2. Archy Bunka says:

Brave men.

• marxistworker says:

You’ve lost your edginess? (Just joking)… How about: Too bad they thought Stalin was a great and capable leader. A true Socialist government would never have dealt with a Fascist/Nazi regime only to be duped later.

• Archy Bunka says:

My friend, I am just holding back my big guns for the right moment. I have my expert on Scientific Communism here to help me, so, look out.
        How can you speak for millions, many of whom are no longer with us? The fact is the USSR was losing and losing big time when they told the people to get out there and win one for the party. The people couldn’t give a rat’s ass about the party. It wasn’t until Stalingrad when the government changed it’s tune and told the men: “go out there and save mother Russia” that the people responded. Stalin, was a terrible war time leader. Stalin nearly lost the war in the first few months through inaction and, having purged the army of all it’s best officers before the war (including Zhukov). Almost to the day that Stalin released control of the army to Zhukov, the Soviets started winning. People thought Stalin was a good leader because that’s all they were told. In Georgia, they called him the mustached monster, now does that sound like everyone loved him? In the Ukraine, they called him even kinder things I am sure.

• Archy Bunka says:

Yes, Stalin was a monster, he was evil. This fact does not in any way, belittle the bravery, the courage, and the sacrifice the people of the USSR made to destroy that one nut degenerate, Hitler.
        I am the son of a veteran of WW2, I grew up in the historical shadow of the war. As time passes. people don’t grasp the magnitude and the impact of this event. It’s just human nature as time flows the event gets smaller and smaller on the horizon. Sometimes this phenomena leads great men, like Lev Tolstoy’s “War and Peace”, to paint a truly accurate picture of the event.
        My point, the passing of time can distort, or clarify a historic event. But it takes a genius to get it right, like Tolstoy. Most revisionist’s are wrong, most not all.

• marxistworker says:

Look at that Arch, I’m censored (by Stalinists and fascists?). I understand. I was not belittling their efforts. Just stating what I believe is accurate: that Stalin betrayed Lenin, Marxism and all his nation’s people because he was a psychopath. But I guess a lot of people still revere him (WHY??!).

• Connor says:

Wow, all he they said was how brave those men are and you starting ranting about communism? Come on.

• testicules says:

I have to agree with everything Archy says. He could even go further if he wanted. The fact is, in many Soviet states, there were massive amounts of collaberators who joined the Germans. They hated communism that much. How bad does your life have to be if you are jumping on the Nazi band wagon

• marxistworker says:

Sorry. But Archy understands my bitterness over Stalinism.

3. Otis R. Needleman says:

Let us never forget these people’s service and sacrifice.

4. alessio says:

I guess the most of them have been sacrified to slow the Nazi machine down.
    Using Ukraine as a bumper. While the highranked officers fleed to Russia

I feel very sorry for those brave man and woman.

See Picture 23 , the sailor is just a kid, :(

5. mukmika says:

I don’t know much about Sevastopol, but those people were brave souls indeed, and deserve to be remembered and honoured.

6. Musa says:

Seeing the photographs really puts a human face on what happen there, so many fought and died far too young or lived through the horrors of the war. I also hope their bravery and sacrifice is never forgotten. Those were tragic times indeed.

7. Lester says:

If you’re quick you can see more pictures from the Crimea battles at ebay.com, search eastern front or Crimea. Try completed listings too. For example there is a 1943 German book called Wir Erobern die Krim with about 20 pictures including from Sevastopol.

I salute the fallen.