28 Private Photos Of the USSR Inhabitants

Private Photos Of the USSR Inhabitants

Posted on May 31, 2011 by team

Maybe some Russians recognise their parents or grandparents in these pictures.

28 Responses to “Private Photos Of the USSR Inhabitants”

1. Musa says:

These are wonderful photographs, thanks.

2. Peter says:

Some of those are definatly not russian but thanks for posting them anyway. very enjoyable.

• Sean says:

Actually, I think they are all from Russia, even the glamorous ones. Russia was versatile, don’t stick to stereotypes it was a harsh grey place with no place for fun or high end social life. But if you could point onto one, please, share you opinion….

3. uhhh says:

Two of those photos are Rodchenkos. Not really private photos.

4. sgtpep says:

@Peter: I’m sure all of this photos were shot in Soviet Union. You could search with tineye.com to prove.

And yes, all these wonderful people looks really happy (compared to modern people in Russia and exUSSR). Though detected a few scaring photos from late 80s (when Perestroyka was going).

5. Gay Ostyak-Vogul says:

Photo 11: The guy has great bowls, yummy!

• moo says:

In some places up north people don’t get enough vitamin D from the sun so the kids are standing in front of lights to get there some artificial sun. Hope that answers it.

6. Cindy says:

(sigh) Nice, but once again no captions. How the hell am I supposed to know what I’m looking at?!

7. marxistworker says:

The Silver Age of Soviet Communism (1953-1973).

8. Yojimbo says:

Many of these are from a National Geographic book called “A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union” I am sure you can find the book some place.Itgives info for every photo.Not all the pics are from that book though.

9. moo says:

Man i Love the pictures with the big huge dogs. I have one exactly like it when i was around 5 standing near my grandfathers avcharka.

10. Plastic Exploding says:

Private photos? As in snapshots by non-professionals, or photos of everyday life, because to my eye they’re definitely taken by professionals with dedicated equipment and a quick eye. Either way, they are great photos, especially the one at the top.

11. Angry Bird says:

Why why why such a series always comprises the same (but exactly same) images. My guess is that not staged happy faces of Soviet folk you can find on these 20-30 pictures only.

12. Max says:

Wonderful pics. Thanks.

13. Irina says:

It is more harsh now and it has never been grey, but in USSR life was much brighter. I was born and grew up at the time you see on the pictures. I can’t be more grateful to fate that I lived in the soviet time. People lived in brotherhood… open, friendly, responsive, united brotherhood. People were much happier in USSR. We never closed our house doors as neighbors were always welcomed. Kids were more independent and designated: Octobrists and Pioneers responsible for waste paper collection, recycling, helping veterans and old people, planting trees and flower beds. I loved Saturday volunteer neighborhood clean-ups! We played so many outside games, kids don’t know them now. I look at the pictures and my heart jumps high. I miss it. It was a beautiful and fun life! I love USSR.

14. Denyboy says:

I think it’s true – the life in these fotos, people were happier then now, nowadays u can see in russia a lot of upset and depressive people. imho ussr made a serious mistake helping for many coutries like Afganistan (look for tonnel through the Mountain), Mongolia, Cuba etc – it was about 70 and financed many revolutions in 70ths. if ussr after the war worked for himself and developed social and technological spheres, people would not be unsatisfied in their country and they would have fight for ussr and defended him

15. Zapadnyi says:

Wonderful pics of happier times I think. Why do you have destroyed all that? For what?

16. GagarinXXI says:

Very sad picture: people on the train, reading newspapers (color). Look like peple cheated by perestrojka who see no way out.

17. GagarinXXI says:

The black-and-white photo of a huge gathering in metro is, I assume, from October 1941. The Germans were close to Moscow and Stalin held the academy in the Metro Station due to likely bombardment. Please correct me if I am wrong.

18. uliqed says:

I am watching those photos while listening to “Sweet Lullaby” by Deep Forest.It is something amazing !

19. marius says:

Absolutely lovely and breathtaking photos.
    I am stunned.
    It evokes the past in a such a beautiful manner…

20. sasd says:

Great photos, may such time come back

21. USSR says:

Yes, we were not rich…financially. But we were
    1000 times richer in spirit. You could not find any other country whose citizens were so open,
    friendly, educated..