10 Down to the Metros Of Two Capitals

Down to the Metros Of Two Capitals

Posted on May 24, 2011 by kulichik

Best masters of architecture and visual arts participated in creation of the Moscow metro using people’s art work. The railway system leads an underground life of its own awaking our interest in investigating its vastness and admiring the view.

The Moscow Metro was opened in 1935 and had 13 stations initially. Now it has 182 stations and carries over 7 million passengers per day.

Kievskaya Station was opened in 1953.  It was built  according to the old Soviet standards, which mean a lot of space, great design and artwork.

10 Responses to “Down to the Metros Of Two Capitals”

1. T. Koval says:

I enjoyed looking at the beautiful Metro Stations. Please post more of the other different stations. Thank you.

2. Critter says:

The old Soviet era and even newer stations are beautiful, but they lack basic necessities. In Kiev there are no bathrooms in any of the stations I have been in. Hundreds of thousands of people each day and no toilets. In general, toilets are very hard to come by in any parts of Ukraine or Russia no matter where you are.

• Musa says:

I’ve heard someone else say this before but they said this not only about the subways but other places public toilets are hard to find as well or at least clean and safe one’s that normal people would actually want to use. I appreciate your comment, Thank You.

• Musa says:

I read your comment to quickly. They also said what you just wrote. It’s nice to know what to expect before I visit Russia and Ukraine. :)

3. Frankie says:

The Battle of Poltava is 1709.

4. testicules says:

Russia has a facination with subways. They build them like they are museums. They should put as much effort into their schools and hospitals.

5. CZenda says:

Stalin´s Gothic meets Soviet Baroque.

6. Tom says:

This is great to see as I’m visiting Kiev myself in a few weeks! :)
    Any suggestions as to which stations I *must* see on a short visit?

• theman says:

Not sure about Kiev, Tom, but for example in Moscow every station within the ring way is a piece of art. Guess it must be similar in Kiev.

7. crf says: