17 Graffiti In The Dead Town

Graffiti In The Dead Town

Posted on April 26, 2011 by team

25 years ago the Ukrainian city Pripyat was abandoned after probably the biggest accident in nuclear power stations history of all times. But the city continues its existence in other forms...

25 years without men and life maintenance. Streets and roads were overgrown with trees. Only the wind lives in houses.

The appearance of graffiti here is an ambiguous phenomenon. Somebody consider them to be desecration, other people think it is art.

17 Responses to “Graffiti In The Dead Town”

1. Sarah Palinsky says:

Am I first? Maybe?

2. Sarah Palinsky says:

It looks as though Japanese are working diligently to create a larger no live zone than the one shown here.
    I can see Russia from my house!

3. Musa says:

They’re both! But what gives anyone the right to come in to a highly visable tragic place like this and tag it in what looks like an effort of self-promotion!?! The buildings and things left behind are enough of a reminder of what it once was. It’s like tagging a graveyard.

4. gh0st says:

I really don’t like the graffiti. It really ruined my impression of Pripyat.

5. Boritz says:

It is unfortunate the graffiti artists were not allowed inside the intensely radio-active reactor building. I would like to see some of their art works there.

6. testicules says:

Not bad. Cool designs and use of color.

7. Q says:

There is never enough photos of Prypiat. I don’t like the graffiti though.

8. exiled says:

I kind of get it. It seems to be a sort of monument to the city – they are like images of the people that should still be living there. Sad and moving.

• JustWow says:

I don’t think the graffiti was done in poor taste and it does make testament to those who were once there who can never come back. Very solemn and yet colorful.

9. petrohof says:

Ill give my vote for communists! i had not been aware there was really a choice?

10. petrohof says:

Ill give my vote for communists! i had not been aware there was a choice? i see it is easy to go from graffiti to the sadness of a forever empty city. understandable.

11. Rob says:

There’s a big difference between tagging a name or initials and creating passionate art like this. This is not the work of gang members trying to stake out their slice of the ghetto, this is something much more.

The problem that so many people have with this particular graffiti is that Pripyat is rapidly becoming a tourist attraction, which I feel takes far more away from it than spraypaint can. Besides, there will be absolutely nothing left of this city long before it’s safe live on that land again.

12. ZeroDrop says:

Graffitti trying to give life to a dead city…

13. Jack says:

Graffiti in the Dead City are outrageous.
    Somebody please tell this “artists” to stop.

14. JustWow says:

Thanks for the pictures. I can never get enough of the Chernobyl Dead Zone pictures. I hope that all of those who have entered have some monitoring device. I would hate for anyone to get sick who is trying to keep the memories of Chernobyl alive. Chernobyl can never be forgotten or taken lightly. It can happen any where at any time. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

15. Winter Echo says:

The child’s silhouette on the wall is excruciatingly eloquent, and chillingly poignant (the scorched portraits of Hiroshima). If art be emotion — laughter and loss and love and regret — then that is art.