10 The History Of One Building

The History Of One Building

Posted on April 14, 2011 by team

All these photos were shot from the top of the scaffoldings of the building at the intersection of Moyka and Gorokhovaya streets in St. Petersburg. The building is very old and has a rich history. Let’s mix the up-to-date photos with an interesting excursion into the historical domain.

In the first half of the 18-th century the place on the bank of the Moyka river belonged to V.J. Novoseltsev. In 1747 the place was separated. In the middle of the 18-th century the stone house on the bank belonged to the vice president of the justice college Fredrick von Bremer.

That is how the building looked like in 1913.

View of Admiralteystvo, Gorokhovaya Street.

The building inside today.

In 1842 the house was already tree-stored and there was given a nod to build a balcony and to re-plaster the frontage.

In 1861 the house became the place of the Johann Abrakham’s photographic studio, in 1970 – for the central homeopathic pharmacy and in 1980’s – for the homeopathic medical centre.

Common view of the centre of the city.

In 1906 a Belgian national S. Esters and a Netherlandish national N. Scheifalls, which owned a clothing company, petitioned for the admission to build their trading house on the place of the house number 15 in Moyka street. In 1907 the building was constructed on the base of 1120-ton metal skeleton.

The building is adorned by the abundant stucco decor. The huge windows and the narrow espacements create the distinct geometrical arrangement of the frontage.

Gorokhovaya Street.

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

10 Responses to “The History Of One Building”

1. testicules says:

2012 abandoned

2. L.S.Zlatopolsky says:

First:
    To say:I’m nearsighted. :-(

3. FührerBunker.AT says:

F. Bunker here.

I just scralled realy fast down anyway, history kool! we love it! wow, poa, kila wakati, geil, fett, fetzig!

4. Not that bad it needs some improvement that’s all for the safety of the citizen people.

5. Musa says:

I love this building myself, it’s so beautiful, I am really liken that plum colored roof too. I wonder how much it’s worth, anyone know?

I’d have to have an apartment at the top for myself if I owned it. I’d have an indoor garden in the middle with flowers, shrubs and trees, rocks, bubbling waterfalls and a crooked stream to share with anyone who worked or visited it. Who knows stranger things have happened.

6. OLUT says:

So many great photos here! This post (and others like it) put me to shame. I’m a photographer, but do I go take photos of my city? No.

7. Matlok says:

Well Musa, I hope that fortune smiles upon you, and you can
    buy it and do all those things. I think I would have to go to Russia and visit.

• Musa says:

Thank you, for now I’ll be happy with my very small one bedroom apartment. I’m still going to have an indoor garden but it will be with sun lamps and plastic storage containers instead. Home grown tomatoes are the best. :)

• Musa says:

Thank You. I plan on visiting Russia myself. :)