25 What Schools Were Once Like

What Schools Were Once Like

Posted on March 22, 2011 by team

In a small town Khyriv in modern Ukraine, when it was ruled by Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, there was a very famous gymnasium of religious type. It was the best according to the education level back then all over the country. Discover this gymnasium on these retro photos made in the beginning of the 20th century.

Passage to the main entrance.

General view.

25 Responses to “What Schools Were Once Like”

1. l.s.zlatopolsky says:

First…
    to say: I dropped out of religious school.

2. testicules says:

That place looks better than any school I have seen recently

3. Musa says:

Great photos.

4. Don says:

and then the commies came abd destructed everything… as usual.

• Novak says:

So sad that you have such a cynical attitude. I could just as well talk about CIA overthrowing my government and, honestly now, killing my parents. So sad.

5. Musa says:

Why do European men cross their legs? I’ve noticed European men doing it throughout my life and they do it without a care in the world and I doubt that all of them were and are g@y. In the US, straight men don’t cross their legs, they consider it to be too girly. There are many things actually that straight men in the US don’t do like carry those man purses, I forget the name.

• Musa says:

Striaght men aren’t suppose to like getting flowers from anyone either, it’s sad really.

• YJ says:

American likes to relate human body and human action to twisted things unlike everyone else of the world where they just take it as it is the only reason is comfort.

• SovMarxist1924 says:

Many “white” Americans can trace their ancestors to Puritans, the very religious Protestant sect that settled New England. The Puritans were anti-European because they thought the Europeans were too sinful, liberal, etc. Therefore, they chose to do away with many European cultural trappings. Even today, the views of many Americans is infused with this “Puritan DNA.”

• testicules says:

Actually, very few Americans can trace their ancestory back to the puritains. Most came over in the waves of European immigrants during the industrial revolution. You have to remember the puritains were a sect that never numbered more than a few thousand. Their impact on the genetic make up of the USA is non-impactful. However, their story is complelling

• SovMarxist1924 says:

Hmm, good point. Maybe I read too many Socialist authors. Well, maybe the people who emigrated to the U.S. tended to feel Europe was no longer a good place and therefore consciously discarded Euro social customs/patterns?

• Musa says:

I can trace some of mine, some of my ancestors were and are listed as Plymouth Pilgrims and came over in the 1600s.

• Chaim says:

I don’t cross my legs, because I have huge balls.

6. SSSR says:

I dont have anything to say about these pics,but that is a mean puppet in the video!

7. moo says:

Wow that free time room pic looks awesome i wish we had a pool table in high school. I don’t think we even had a piano in music room. :( I feel bad of getting a California edumacation.

8. Lemberger says:

Gymnasium in Chyrow (Khyriv) was Jesuit school and many great Poles (politicians, artists, soldiers and priests) were educated there :
    Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski, Adam Styka, Jan Brzechwa, Kazimierz Junosza-Stępowski , Antoni Wiwulski, Jerzy Kirchmayer, bishop Edward O’Rourke, Aleksander Birkenmajer, Mieczysław Orłowicz, Kamil Giżycki and many others

There was room for 600 students, dinning room for 500, theater for 1000 people.

After 1939 this noble gymnasium was (obviously, as usual) robbed and destroyed by soviets, then turned into red army garrison. Thats how they dealt with education in soviet Ukraine.

9. prince says:

Many good things come from that era, until some arrogant dictator decide to destroy the golden era of lots of country, which was Russian Empire, which killed half of the East Europe progressive countries.
    If those countries weren’t part of Russian empire they would be equivalent to west European countries like UK, France and Germany, after years of subjugation by community tyranny regimes and left they are worse than some third world countries of Asia.

10. Subcarpathia says:

That’s Jesuit School located in Chyrów. The facility was open in 1886, designed for about 500 students. The school was of course Polish, although for the 2/3 of its existence within the borders of the Austro-Hungary Empire.
    With very high standard of teaching and equipment it soon became one of the best schools in Poland and the entire Europe.
    All of this has ended in 1939, when the buldings has been seized by Soviets and looted. Devastated facility became a prison and after the war a place for the military garrison of the Red Army.
    Novadays the school chapel is used by Orthodox and Greek-catholics, but I don’t know what is happening with the rest of the complex.
    Please write if you have any interesting information.
    G-z!

11. Musa says:

Thanks for the history, it makes it far more interesting.