20 Life In a Penal Colony, 1891

Life In a Penal Colony, 1891

Posted on March 17, 2011 by team

In 1891 Aleksey Kuznetsov, the Transbaikalia researcher went to Nerchinsk, which is situated not far from the Russian-Chinese border and  made some photos of living conditions in the penal colony of the Russian Far East.

Prisoners in workshops.

A female prisoner.

20 Responses to “Life In a Penal Colony, 1891”

1. testicules says:

Looks like the Ukrainian beach resort

• Archy Bunka says:

hahahahahaha ha.
      What, no cable?

• SovMarxist1924 says:

How do you capitalists get up so early? I’m still asleep and dreaming of October 1917 and you’re already up making money.

What is it?: “The early bird exploits the worm.” or, “Early to bed, early to wake makes a capitalist get his stake.” (Marxist humor)

• SSSR says:

We have jobs to go to so we can create new products for the world.Speaking of new products have you seen the new Ipad?WOW!!!!

• SovMarxist1924 says:

Comrade SSSR: I’m a proud industrial worker, but I’m frequently late to my job due to oversleeping because of exploitation of us workers (long hours-low pay) by the capitalist overlords.

I have seen the IPAD. Buy one and make Steve Jobs wealthier? I did indulge in a MP3 player by this captain of industry. And I feel guilty.

• SSSR says:

Steve went to college so he could have a better life.I went to trade school so I could have a better life.I also have dental,medical and 401k retirement from the company I work for.I pay state and federal taxes every year-and I get some money back.Do you expect to have a good life and not work for it,comrad?

• SovMarxist1924 says:

My answer would be too lengthy. We need a debating forum: Dreamers who think capitalism is good and Marxist realists. Just joking. I believe you believe in the Amer. system. Have a good work day, Comrade.

2. Cindy says:

What are “stigmas”?

3. Chico says:

That prisoner-executioner is pretty scary looking :)

4. Don says:

And it became so much worse during the leninist and stalinist terrors!

5. YJ says:

Russia did not import slaves from foreign countries, because they used their own people as slaves.

6. SovMarxist1924 says:

The political prisoners were heroes of Socialism, Marxism, or Anarchism.

7. Left SR says:

Great historical pics.

8. Neil says:

Fantastic pictures.
    I recently read ‘The Diary of Vikenty Angarov’ and these pictures make what I imagined come to life.
    The book would make a great TV series, if only they could film it to look like these photos.

9. Johan says:

I find these photgraphs fascinating. They show scenes described by Solzenishin in his Gulag Archipellago. I wonder, does EnglishRussia have Gulag pictures?

10. stan johnson says:

oops,i forgot,work makes you free and is good for your soul