22 Dying Ukrainian Sea Resorts

Dying Ukrainian Sea Resorts

Posted on March 16, 2011 by team

Tourists still go to Sergeeevka - a cheap Black Sea resort which travel agencies present as a beautiful spot. What we see is not so wonderful. Let's try to figure out why Black Sea resorts die.

The very site is in fact very lovely. It is famous for its therapeutic muds. In the Soviet times everything was fine: people came to this prosperous resorts and a lot of hotels were built.

Let's have a look at one.

22 Responses to “Dying Ukrainian Sea Resorts”

1. testicules says:

Why would anyone go here when they can go to Florida?

• JZ says:

Yea why would someone now go to an abandoned resort…
      Florida? In Soviet times I don’t thing people had much choice where to spend their holidays.

• Shycookie says:

Actually, Soviet Union probably had hundreds of different vacation options spanning 10 time zones… Much more than US has to offer now.

The problem is that since the breakup, there is no need for some of them as demand has decreased substantially due to popularity of vacation spots like – Turkey, Europe, and Pacific countries (Thailand, China, Australia, etc).

I think that it would be great if these abandoned buildings were demolished/recycled. If only someone actually cared……

• SovMarxist1924 says:

FLORIDUH!! I’d rather vacation in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Florida is full of capitalists and criminals- admit it.

• Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. I have been to both and I prefer Florida.
        OK panhandle was actually shaved off of Texas, so that Texas could enter the union as a slave state.

Question Sov: what is the only American city, with a population in excess of 40.000, to elect a socialist for mayor?

2. YJ says:

Where is the sun.

3. Musa says:

The last place I lived I was surrounded by resorts, here there are a large string of resorts in less than thirty minutes away. It’s the places that are less frequented and unspoiled by pricey hotels and overrunned by rude tourists that I like the best. Unfortunately places like that becomes harder to find all the time.

They really need to demolish these ugly buildings and allow this place to be beautiful again.

4. asteroid no. 444 says:

Beats Disney!(?) ;-)

5. SovMarxist1924 says:

“In the Soviet times everything was fine..” Enough said.

• Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. Hey Sov do you know that I am, in reality, a better socialist than you? I told you this before but I,ve forgotton which thread it was in. I am a chief union stewart, everyday I protect the little guy from corporate America.

6. Left SR says:

Well, Ukraine wanted capitalism. This is the result.

7. Thurston Howell III says:

Why is my comment awaiting moderation, I didn’t drink, smoke, nor cuss?

8. L.S.Zlatopolsky says:

They need to reopen the “Bar Neptune” so the natives can drown their sorrows. ;-)

9. Archy Bunka says:

Most of the former USSR is a mess. You think capitalism is to blame? Or is it a result of 75 years under a system where people learned how not to work? Who did better?
    North Korea, or South Korea, East or West Germany, Trabant or BMW what would you prefer to drive?

10. Eizo says:

it says “hotelul” yeh .. hotel “lul” ?

• ink says:

Hotelul means Hotel in romanian (language used in Moldova as well). This resort used to be a Moldavian resort in Ukraine back in soviet times.
      Been there in 1992 – what a wonderful place it was. Hurts to see it this way now :(

11. John P. says:

It looks like Detroit, today!

• MAXDMG says:

No, even that messy garbage lock much better, and yes, here you don’t kill for money, or you just white, maximum try to ask some money for vodka, or trying to beat you if already have and drink it.))