41 Astrakhan Ghetto

Astrakhan Ghetto

Posted on February 20, 2011 by team

Astrakhan is an average Russian city, which lies on the left bank of Volga river. There are lots of modern buildings, trade centers, luxurious hotels and beautiful remarkable sights in the city, but there is also one strange peculiarity – just in the centre of the city there is a big old and timeworn ghetto, which is more likely to be seen somewhere in non-urban area than in a city with more than half a million citizens.

In the background you can see the Astrakhan Kremlin.

A view typical of Astrakhan – a poor hut on the background of a huge hypermarket.

The most amazing thing is that you never can guess whether a house is abandoned or not.

For example this house is inhabited!

And this one!

And this one is already empty…

41 Responses to “Astrakhan Ghetto”

1. miss poland says:

OMG it’s so sad, crumbling and abandoned, like the rest of Russia :( If not the winter and nukes we would take them over faster than Germans (almost) did :(

2. Maraudon says:

Cute cat! And dog (or is it a bear?) nose :P

3. Zack says:

Crumbling buildings, a Soviet flag, abandoned cars, and mosques… I thought this was Detroit.

4. Airborne says:

Wonderful post. I love looking at the woodwork and brickwork of old buildings. I know the economic situation means historical preservation is a low priority for most people in the area, but I wish some of the wealthy people would care enough about their heritage to preserve some of those wonderful old buildings and houses that reflect detailed Russian craftsmanship. That’s the problem with the “new rich.” Most of them don’t know anything about real value. Okay, I know – that’s just my opinion.

5. kate says:

this website is very good, you can go and see it

shoes4world dot com

6. honisuka says:

This is real ghetto:
    Lunk IX, Slovakia :)

7. kbr says:

once beautiful buildings, but like Russian heritage, they are in a bad shape and on the brink of disappearing in a forgotten memory.

8. George Johnson says:

Just like here, “poor people” with air conditioners and satellite dishes on the roofs.

Got to put what little money you have where it counts the most eh?

That one place with the communist flag, I wonder if that’s an old commie living there still waiting on the government to come take care of him.

9. Otis R. Needleman says:

In general, awful. A vision of a hell on Earth.

10. SSSR says:

Kirov lives in this city,well maybe in a nicer area.Where is Kirov?

11. SovMarxist1924 says:

The “old commie” flying the U.S.S.R. flag is undoubtedly a decent, educated individual who is just nostalgic.

12. Left SR says:

I’ve seen plenty of places like this in the U.S. Wherever there is capitalism, there is poverty. Capitalism creates and nurtures class division.

13. Henry says:

It looks like it’s mostly abandoned and awaiting redevelopment. It’s too bad: Many of these buildings would have been worth preserving…

14. Left SR says:

Sorry for being off-topic (although Libya was allied with the Soviets so there is a little connection with Russia) but I hope 99 per cent of the Comrades on this great site (how can one ever expect 100 per cent of anything?) are hoping Col. Khadafy is soon swept into the dung heap of history. 42 years in power is enough for this fascist.

15. happy_canadian says:

is this a Roma neighborhood?

16. Stewie says:

Why is Islam always surrounded by abject poverty?

17. Sabot says:

It used to look very similar in old Dallas, Texas down by the Cotton Bowl and the fairgrounds.

18. Musa says:

This is tragic. Some of these buildings look like they were very beautiful at one time. It’s sad to see them in such condition. I’m amazed that people still live in some of them.

I’m going to do my windows on my vardo like the wooden Russian windows. I’m going to embellish my vardo with woodwork just like they do all over their homes too.

19. No. 40 prompts me to ask, did the Soviet Union have tarpaper shacks? It reminds me that it has been a long time since I’ve seen one in North America, and it has also been a long time since I’ve seen wall coverings of corrugated cardboard held down by lath. Ah, nostalgia.

20. Kent_Diego says:

It looks like much of the wood was never painted. Paint lasts 10 to 20 years and is cheap compared replacing building.

21. Name required says:

So depressing it’s beautiful.

22. Except for the russian styles, this could be Detroit. It
    also may be what America will look like in a few years.

23. emaalia says:

awesome post, I love it

24. Gerard says:

Just to make a movie (How life should be)