13 St. Petersburg’s Past – Leningrad

St. Petersburg’s Past – Leningrad

Posted on February 17, 2011 by team

Discover St. Petersburg of the 1920-30s. It was called Leningrad then and looked like this.

13 Responses to “St. Petersburg’s Past – Leningrad”

1. testicules says:

With all those bikes I thought it was china.

2. Otis R. Needleman says:

And I wonder how many of those people ended up in the GULAG, or died during the siege.

3. Airborne says:

Lots of forming into ranks and marching. The Soviets were really into order, weren’t they? Kind of like another socialist group that developed a short while later to Russia’s west. . . .

• Bogdanov says:

No comparison. National Socialism (fascism) was an ideology of exclusion. Soviet Communism was an ideology of inclusion.

• Airborne says:

You could argue that theory in a university course or coffee shop or some other place where people gather to blow smoke up each other’s arse and otherwise waste time and money, but in reality Fascism and Communism have MUCH in common, such as state control, either de jure or de facto, of almost everything, including the media, as well as a general “join us or we’ll destroy you” mentality reflected through a high ration of secret police, informants, mass arrests, executions without trial, forced labor, indoctrination to an extreme, strict limits on travel abroad, replacement of Christianity, Judaism, etc. with a “national” religion, . . . I could go on and on. Yeah, I’d say there is quite a comparison.

4. SovMarxist1924 says:

Because Marxists don’t believe in the cult of personality it will always be Petrograd in my mind.
    Really enjoyed the pic of Comrade N. Bukharin, the “mind” of Soviet Marxism.

• Airborne says:

I admire your desire to avoid cults of personality (I don’t like them either), but I thought Petrograd was named after Peter the Great, who was quite a personality, at least according to the English.

• Mixas says:

Peter was an emperor. In Russia emperor was almost divine. So replacing monarchy in Russia for communism couldn’t destroy a thousand year old habit of creating cults of personalities.

• marusya says:

FYI the city was named after St.Peter (nothing to do with Peter the Great). It was renamed in 1914 when WW I began and Russia was against Germany, so to keep patriotic spirit the city was given Russian version of the same name.

5. Musa says:

It was another World. I love these old pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

6. Bogdanov says:

The closest the world got to Marxism- the Soviet Union of the 1920s.

7. Left SR says: