12 Dying Mining Town

Dying Mining Town

Posted on February 9, 2011 by team

This former mining town may seem deserted at first sight. But it is a rather big workers' settlement, not much alive, though. Well, the mines were closed, but people weren't.

The workers' village, called "Yubileiny" (meaning "Anniversary") was built by a major coal mine.

"Mine"

In the 90s the mine complex became unprofitable and the closure process began.

In 1998 all the mines were closed and some people got flats in the neighboring towns, but those who didn't already work in the mines were left with nothing.

12 Responses to “Dying Mining Town”

1. Zjoske says:

It looks very shabby. I’m quite impressed how it looks on the inside.

2. DougW says:

How many abandoned towns/cities are there? I know places in the U.S. that are similar (Detroit for example)

• Airborne says:

Yeah, Detroit has streets full of buildings like this, and now the “leaders” of Detroit think they can overcome decades of gluttony and incompetence by running a Super Bowl ad featuring a new car and a white-trash hip-hop singer. All that ad did for me was make me even more glad I don’t live in Detroit. I’d honestly rather live in Russia.

• George Johnson says:

Detroit was destine to failure. The unions killed it. They just kept taking more and more and more, until the car companies just couldn’t give out any more, and basically collapsed. Then the town dies with it because that was about the only income source.
        Now we have a super liberal president, paying back favors to his friends (the unions) and forcing them to build cars nobody wants.

But at least they’re talking about tearing those old buildings (houses) down, and turning it back into farmland.

• Steven says:

Well, actually GM paid back their loan to the US government with interest and ahead of schedule turning a nice profit for the taxpayers. More tax payer profits will follow as the US government sells its preferred shares. GM’s retail sales last month were up over 60%, they are the world’s 2nd largest car company and may soon be the largest. Details here: http://www.gm.com/investors/sales-production

3. Musa says:

That’s really sad to see what was once beautiful building neglected and falling apart. I can only hope someone saves it before it gets much worse. Inside the school looks nice, that’s good for the children.

I don’t understand why the people in the flats/apts cannot use other abandon buildings as stables for farm animals and plant gardens on the land around them like the people with houses do.

I myself would have a garden, chickens and goats if Soviet Virginika of Amerika didn’t have so many effing codes and laws saying I cannot do that while I live in an apartment in the city.

But I think maybe Russia doesn’t have such nonsense and people are free to do more to help themselves. I don’t know I could be wrong.

4. asteroid no. 444 says:

Yubileiny is the middle of Russia. Kind of like Hays, Kansas, huh? ;-)

5. carlos says:

what they do to live? there are no jobs, where they get food, honestly sometimes i wish to live in a place like this but i dont have any idea on how to survive!

6. The Stegosaur says:

Awesome post, thank you! I feel sorry for the people though.