Askold is a small island located in the Sea of Japan. Long ago it was absorbed in an extensive war. The war started because of the goldfields located there. The local graveyard that has turned into a forest now hides quite a few mysteries of the island.
In 1892 the Headquarters of the Vladivostok Fortress created a permanent observation post on the island. It was connected with the headquarters with the help of a telegraph line. But the main task of the Askold department was to watch the Japanese try to construct the mine fields in front of the Bosporus. Also, those days the Askold Island was the only nursery of the axis deer.
The island is visible from all around. If you look at its form on a sea map it resembles a horseshoe. Looking at it from the sea one can’t help but admire its majesty and mysteriousness. The weather is quite unpredictable. The bright sky may turn into a gray and rainy one in a twinkle of an eye.
The beautiful island used to be the place for breeding deer, building pretty lighthouses, artillery fortifications to protect Peter The Great gulfs, deploying missiles… But then it was abandoned…
A rotten pier, devoured by the time…
Lots of various metal rubbish can cover the whole coast.
Somebody was trying their hardest to get all the fuel out of this barrel.
The weather changes suddenly: the sun, rain and fog change one another constantly.
7 pillboxes were constructed to protect the island from the landing forces. ButÂ it seemed unlikely as all the water space was under the protection of the Voroshilovskaya Battery. The luminescent navigational signs are installed in the northern part of the island.
Also, there is an artillery battery number 26 consisting of the two MB-2-12 plants. Its construction started on July, 13 in 1936 and it was being tested until 1991. It is really huge.
This 180-mm battery number 26 consisted of two concrete tower blocks, a power station, a command post, land defense constructions and barracks.
The distance between the tower blocks was 169 meters. The command post and the power station were situated in the different blocks. AÂ revolving armoured deckhouse was located in another block, but still it was connected with the command post.