35 Cossacks And Caucasians Back Then

Cossacks And Caucasians Back Then

Posted on January 20, 2011 by team

Interesting old photos of Cossacks and Caucasians.

When you say Caucasian in Russia it would mean not a white man but rather some guest from Southern regions of Soviet Union – those that are close to the Caucasus mountains range. They were pretty different from the European style back then as you might see on those photos and they are even different a lot now too.

35 Responses to “Cossacks And Caucasians Back Then”

1. testicules says:

Wow. Cool hats. I bet those beards itch though.

2. ZeroDrop says:

What’s are these things on the men’s chests, resembling some small cylinders tied together?

3. I wonder if any of the children in the penultimate picture is still alive now.

4. YJ says:

What are those round things in their pockets?

5. George Johnson says:

Nice photo’s.

6. Richard W. says:

The Good Old Days….. Were there ever ‘good days’? nobody ever smiles in Russia in all the pictures I’v seen. Infact, they all looked miserable and feared for their lives.

• zipp says:

Yes, false smiles and ‘have a nice day’ insincerity is just wonderful.

• Pacific NW says:

I see smiles in lots of the photos and in not one do I see fear. Which photo do you see “fear for their lives”?

• Wraith says:

People often didn’t smile in old photos because the exposure would take several minutes, and sometimes as long as 15 minutes, and holding a smile for that long is difficult and even painful. So people would hold a formal or neutral expression as it was the easiest.

• Vlad says:

When I see an American fake smile, I think that Americans have discredited such a thing as a smile. I see the stress, tension, and the use of antidepressants.
      Russian people are able and like to have fun, but do not like to smile at the old photos.
      At a time when these pictures were taken, the photo was not so widespread popular. Villagers, who are depicted in the photographs, put on their best clothes on the rode a great way to be photographed.

7. Wishful thinker says:

Very interesting. Does anyone see anything in style of dress, features, etc. that would help define or narrow the region the Caucasians are from?

• Vlad says:

In the face. South anthropological type has characteristic facial features.
      In some photographs show women with Caucasian women is different costume.
      Sorry for bad English.

8. Mizz... (A) says:

This is cool, my father gave me a real Kinjal in birthdays gift.

9. L.S.Zlatopolsky says:

Ads are at the bottom of each pic. This never happened before! :-(

10. SovMarxist1924 says:

Love the Russian village pics. History in front of our eyes.

11. Akskl says:

Cossacks of different parts of the Russian Empire wore clothes similar to the traditional clothes of the local natives. E.g. Semirechje Cossacks had clothes similar to Central Asian robes, not like Caucasus type shown above.
    BTW Cossack and Kazakh are words of the same old Turkic origin which meant “free man”, “bold man”, “wanderer”.

12. Musa says:

I have photographs of my family members probably around the same time these were taken and no one is smiling in them either.

These are great photos, thanks.

13. Does not remove, will not come! says:

Remove ads with pictures! Uncomfortable to watch.

14. The Kingfish says:

Please remember, early fotos could require as long as a minute to be exposed, trying sitting still and smiling, without moving for a minute.

15. The Kingfish says:

I love the hats.

16. Archy Bunka says:

17. Greetings to the people from Russia. I hope everyone have fun in thei country.

18. Your country people are very smart people and the photograph was amazing. Have fun!