27 Look Out! Soviet Bloody Posters!

Look Out! Soviet Bloody Posters!

Posted on January 15, 2011 by team

Interesting collection of the Soviet accident prevention posters.

Look out for buffers.

Put the tool rest closer to the stone.

27 Responses to “Look Out! Soviet Bloody Posters!”

1. Unknown says:

• Zack says:

I agree. I actually cringed looking at the posters with arms and legs getting caught in rotating machinery.

Did the USSR not have any eye protection?

2. George Johnson says:

The posters are more gruesome than in the US. Which I think is good, shows reality. In the US, they’re a little more “comic.”

I’d like the see that explanation of how the robot speaks. Because that’s not even a close depiction.

3. DougW says:

All hail the all mighty robot duck!

Those are some seriously good posters.

4. Musa says:

WOW, I don’t know about welcoming mighty Duck overlords but that’s a great collection of work safety posters.

5. from says:

I was drunk at work.

6. SovMarxist1924 says:

These posters are priceless! Excellent! Thanks for presenting them.

7. asteroid no. 444 says:

LOL. I’ve been the dude sliding off the roof. But I’m so skinny I was able to catch the edge. Being light has it’s advantages. Also (gulp) the drunk at work. ;-)

8. Left SR says:

The tool rest poster hits home to machinists. My hand once slipped into a grinder wheel. I saw a puff of smoke and only later realized that was the skin on my hand atomizing. You can’t work in a machine shop for any length of time and not have the experience of watching your blood drip on a concrete floor.
    Great post. Has to be one of my all-time favorites.

9. Bogdanov says:

10. CZenda says:

“Don´t step on the fish!” is a winner ;-) It sounds almost surrealistic.

11. умный says:

“В бубен” это подделка современная. Ты изума выжил, думать что это оригинал?

12. RandomJoe says:

2nd picture… Soviet Pacman maiming worker. haha

13. Predicador says:

“Threw rags about? Get a hit on the face.” is obviously a modern makeover. It uses a sort of slang unacceptable back then.

The “mighty robot duck” refers to the past, not future of robotics. Hey. there’s even an article in Wikipedia about “Dr. Vaucanson’s mechanic duck”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digesting_Duck

14. it must be hide to children so that they won’t like to be violent person…..however, I adore the drawings…..

15. spiderseverywhere says:

I think these definitely need to be recaptioned for great lulz. Also, lol at RandomJoe, I see it too.

16. nobodyspecial says:

Where can one buy these wonderful posters?

17. Ilya says:

I disagree that the pictures with robots reflect Soviet view of the future robotics. For example, the text under the duck says “Watkinson’s mechanical duck”. It represents the history of robotics. The other images are just symbolical depictions to separate the chapters, they are not conceptual views about future. I had this book btw.

18. Nikhil says:

Fantastic art! Worth their weight in nostalgia and a niche aesthetic. Thank you for sharing them.

19. WWtS says:

Just in case someone didn’t cringe enough: the picture on page five, “Don’t carry the bottles without corks.” – the inscription on the bottle (“Kislota”) means “acid” in Russian.

20. Adolfo Camara says:

I love this post. These posters are an excellent example of great illustration work.