14 Let Us Crunch a Bit!

Let Us Crunch a Bit!

Posted on December 15, 2010 by team

This is a plant of PepsiCo, where chips Lay’s are produced. It has been opened recently in the city Azov of Rostov region. Let’s go over the whole sequence of production.

Uploading, washing and temporary storing of potato

Daily about nine 20-tonned trucks are discharged here. Then via the belt potatoes go to the washing machine, where they are cleaned by recycling water. There are just three such automatic washers in the world. Washing goes in a closed tank and is impossible to be photographed. Then potatoes go to the bins for temporary storing and are taken from them to production when needed.

Peeling, assortment and cutting potato

Before potatoes go to the cutting machine workers check if there are any defects on the vegetables or not. If there are some they are cut out.

There are special sorts of potato, which are acceptable for chips-making, such sorts have higher content of starch.

14 Responses to “Let Us Crunch a Bit!”

1. KGB has you says:

Hmm, chips Lay’s are produced in our Russia. Cool! How about chips Estrella of Kraft Foods? I prefer chips Estrella with dill sometimes. It would be nice if they too were manufactured in Russia.

2. moo says:

Infinity ha beat that and mmmmmm lays i love those chips so salty mmmmmmmm.

3. xoxo says:

potato chips…nasty!

4. WackyGypsy says:

Let me guess… they have Dill flavored Lays in Russia…

When I was in Russia you people were crazy about dill!

5. al says:

what is “dried crust?”

6. Anadyr express says:

If PepsiCo is paying these workers next to nothing then I say shame on PepsiCo!

7. David says:

“potatoes go to the washing machine, where they are cleaned by recycling water. There are just three such automatic washers in the world”

I can inform you that this is probably untrue. I work in potato factory in England. We have the same thing here, using completely recycled water in a rotary washing system with built in drying rollers. Removes about 95% or greater of earth etc. This is nothing special for this industry.

8. B says:

Potato chips are one of the worst things in the world you can eat. I wish they didn’t taste so good. Why hasn’t science invented a vitamin fortified potato chip yet?

9. OLUT says:

What a coincidence, I ate Lay’s chips and drank Pepsi for dinner last night!

10. testicules says:

Clean, efficient, productive. You sure this was in Russia? It isn’t abandoned.

11. George Johnson says:

I like Pepsi better than Coke.

12. erin says:

best chips are ‘better made’ – made here in detroit. ask for them – we could use some more employees. glad somebody is working, though, wherever they are.

13. Papa Karlo says:

“The very “heart” of chips production line – a frying bath. The whole world has no analogous equipment, it has been made specially for PepsiCo and forbidden to be shown.”
    I suspect that the reason for this is that Lay’s chips are formed of potato flower, not from real cut potatoes, that’s what they don’t want anybody to see.