29 Creepy Soviet Posters From Mental Hospitals

Creepy Soviet Posters From Mental Hospitals

Posted on November 22, 2010 by team

This is a creepy selection of informational posters from various mental hospitals of the Soviet time. Do they make your blood run cold?

29 Responses to “Creepy Soviet Posters From Mental Hospitals”

1. An says:

Interesting article

2. Bogdanov says:

Heartbreaking. But let us remember that even in the advanced U.S., transorbital lobotomies were being performed into the early 1960s. Even on JFK’s sister. Humans have still much to learn about the mind.

3. Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. Let us not forget Soviet psychiatry was considered a joke worldwide because mental hospitals were a convenient place to keep political prisoners.

• Archy Bunka says:

The Real A. Bunka here.

Aww, geez, I’m married to a dingbat, so I nose sumpin about dis. Freud was a prevert, plain and simple, jus like ol’ Testicules, huh, boy?

• Archy Bunka says:

Dear Tutti Frutti

Get a life.

• Archy Bunka says:

A. Bunka here. Look here meathead, I know who the real A. Bunka is and who the infornicater is, ok? I challenge you, infurnicator, to a Archy Bunka question and answer session. I’ll start off slow: where did Archy’s FATHER work? What did he do for a living? Please this ? for that meathead above only.

4. Boritz says:

I think some of the regular ER posters are pictured.

5. Fila says:

This is so interesting. I don’t speak russian very well, but I can translate it into czech. Sometimes it seems very scary, but it was Soviet union — No mental help and mental hospitals looked scarry, that’s my opininon. I know it could by wrong. So let’s discuss about it. Greetings from Czech rep. :)

• John says:

People often make fun of the Soviet mental health system, but they were on the leading edge of considering lobotomies inhumane, if I remember correctly.

6. prince says:

First!and sad, I guess Russia itself a big psycho center of world.
    Nonetheless they have Siberia.

7. CBEH says:

The Soviets had many hospital/prisons where they kept both political prisoners and mental ill people. Nazi Germany had one method of handling mental ill people. They tied them up, put them against the wall and machine gunned them all. Nazi had no place for mental ill people.

8. asteroid no. 444 says:

Very sobering. Depressing. Now I wanna go get drunk on some ashberry liquor…

9. L.S.Zlatopolsky says:

Interesting and profoundly sad at the same time.

10. happy_canadian says:

first?

Uh, please: someone who knows the language, PLEASE explain what all of this is about….

What’s going on with the photos, drawings, and weird artwork?

And yes it’s creepy, so creepy that I fast-scrolled down to not see them all.

Ick.

• amI says:

schizophrenia and forms, alcoholic psychosis, psychogenic, epilepsy, oligophrenic, mental disorders after injuries, hysterical neurosis and so on

• happy_canadian says:

thanks, that makes them slightly less creepy (but still creepy)

what is with the artwork? are these drawings created by the patients? what is it supposed to illustrate?

• Milk says:

Mug shot portraits of different categorisation of the mentally ill

• asteroid no. 444 says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never known a unhappy Canadian. You people are lucky. Sorry for this post, but to add humor (or else we’ll all go mad) look at the patient drawing of Death arm wrestling the guy. My comment: Guess who’s gonna win?

11. Kat says:

They’re just schematics of psych-conditions.

If you speak the language they’re not creepy, more educational than anything.

Cool find!

12. Nier says:

“Do they make your blood run cold?” – No, they don’t. Some of them are somewhat strange, some creepy. But since there is no translation of the explanations, one doesn’t know what the posters are exactly about.

13. Leningradsky says:

Only in USA. Only insane yankz could vote for monkey Bush.

14. Bigg Fredd says:

What makes my blood run cold is that in the US, people like this are now being “mainstreamed”, meaning everyone now has to deal with them.

Better yet, they get to vote and reproduce, and I’m not sure which I find scarier.