28 Nuclear Waste Repository “Buryakovka”

Nuclear Waste Repository “Buryakovka”

Posted on October 2, 2010 by team

Today we are going to visit a seriously radiation-dangerous place - "Buryakovka".

When you go along this road you have a gloomy feeling as if you are coming to the gates of a concentration camp...

Trefoil at the gates ...

28 Responses to “Nuclear Waste Repository “Buryakovka””

1. kiddesign says:

1st

2. Yubin Yankinov says:

Not exactly Chekov or Akhmatova, but nice try.

3. Oscar says:

Looks like pure poetry, good pictures, nice writing.
    Greetings from Mexico!

4. George Johnson says:

Interesting. I’m surprised somebody even let ‘em in to take those photo’s. And I wonder how the military machines got irradiated.

5. SovMarxist1924 says:

“and only the wind will remain…” humanity’s fate is the same as “our products”- the scapheap of history; it’s called evolution. Science drives the universe, we are passengers.

6. Martin says:

@George Johnson;
    The military vehicles were used for the clean-up operations of Chernobyl.
    The sign in one of the very first images uses the Ukrainian Cyrillic alphabet. Ergo the dump site is in the Ukraine. What large catastrophe took place in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic in 1986? Chernobyl.

7. blah says:

what a touching story..

8. Helix07 says:

Mayak? Ozyorsk? Karachay? in Chelyabinsk… what´s about them?

9. Alexis says:

The “Buryakovka” is a nuclear waste tomb in Chernobyl zone, in operation since 1986. It’s located ~10 km far from ChNPP and the City of Pripyat and 15 km from Chernobyl… those machines were in use to clean MOST hazardous places around the demolished 4th reactor.

10. Kate W says:

That place is hell playground… anyway, every time I see that machines I think about people who operated them and about their heroism…
    Very emotive report… thanks a lot.

• CZenda says:

Heroism? Did they have a choice? They were simply sacrificed in the true USSR way, sent there by order without proper equipment.

• Kate W says:

Man, I know what I say.
        Some of that people well familiar to me, and they told lots of things we do not know. Some had, some not, ‘coz they were taken from the regular army.
        Anyway, the heroism never depends on military order. It depends only on the human soul. I was in ChNPP and Pripyat and saw myself the amount of hell-job done to allow anybody to, at least, stay on that location, and trust me, to do that they need something more than orders from their generals…

• azerbaijani Elshad says:

my uncle were in Pripat…he was VOLUNTEER…
        By the way he died in his 40 because of canser

11. Laika says:

The ADR transport warning signs on the vehicles read class 7-0 UN 2913 which is “Radioactive material, surface contaminated object or Radioactive material, SCO”.

12. briedis says:

Damn those vehicles are awesome!

13. ter says:

how many such nuclear waste sites are in russia?

14. ter says:

kate w.
    you speak truth.only military orders were not enough.those pilots knew they were going to die on mission and they did it.true heros

15. dfhduhf says:

This place is creepy all right. BUT if we ever get to see pics from Mayak… Man, Mayak is THE most contaminated place on the globe, period. We’ll probably not see any pics of Mayak any time soon, but I sure wish I could see some. Check out what happened in Mayak in 1950s and 1960s. Hell on earth.

16. guillermo says:

hello good morning , gretting to u ,, thanks for your pictures , , friend please please help me with my petition, about friends from all ex union sovietic countries cities , please thankssssssssss

17. CZenda says:

Google “Robert Knoth”.

18. russia_bound says:

Some very surreal pictures. Its sad that so many machines are now completely useless since being irradiated. Thanks for the upload…

19. cm says:

If you’re worried about radioactivity, wait for genetically modified organisms – those don’t just fallout, they reproduce, and it’s only a matter of time before things go out of hand or accidentally wrong or someone takes advantage of them for the worst.

20. krizz says:

It’s not only Chernobyl waste there. It’s also waste of secret nuclear training maneuvers of the soviet army and weapon tests like uran- hardened antitank ammo.
    As you see there are still fresh loads of contaminated waste coming in, this can’t be all from Chernobyl.

Anyway, this pcitures inspired me playing STALKER again :P

21. Steve says:

Thank you for the photos. It is very very depressing for me as this was the village of my maternal side. I’ve been told I lost 80 members of my family to the holocaust. I just recently met the last that I know to leave Burakówka/Burykovka (so many spellings). I would really like to find out if any are still in the vicinity. Any ideas would be appreciated.