22 Disguised Blockade, Leningrad 1941-1944

Disguised Blockade, Leningrad 1941-1944

Posted on September 15, 2010 by team

Unfortunately this album is devoted to a sad theme. Our generation of consumers that always complains about “bad life”, that is never pleased, cannot even imagine what Leningrad and its citizens had to go through on those terrible days…

22 Responses to “Disguised Blockade, Leningrad 1941-1944”

1. Ken says:

They became cannibals there in the 3 year long siege

2. Felix says:

thanks for all the comrades defending the city that i visited last year!

picture 3 is nice. i think they are drinking vodka before battle. it was red army method to not ear much before battle and drink vodka because in cause of a shot in your stomach the risk of infection sinks.

• Doomer says:

It is not vodka
      It’s pure ethanol. Very hard to drink but cool think about it it doesn’t go all the way to blood but some part stays in one’s stomach until one drinks water. And after one drinks water he or she becoming drunk quickly. I think Americans did the same
      I guess it was supposed to cut the self preservation instinct because most of the battles during WWII were suicidal

• gen. Kharkov says:

Vodka was offered AFTER a combat.

3. MotherRussia says:

I thank the russians for their unforgetable sacrifices they did during WWII.

4. perristalsis says:

The Moscow Circus performed “Flight of the Cranes” I think it was called, was it to commemorate the Leningrad siege?

5. Macsen says:

With all the horrors that the Nazis put your people through, it is a wonder that any of you allow modern neo-Nazis to exist.

6. shmalex says:

scanning all these black/white images as colour was a bad idea..

7. Fake says:

Wow

I can’t imagine what it must have been like seeing a pile of children’s bodies. How do you not go crazy over something like that?

8. George Johnson says:

And this is why I can’t imagine Russians looking back on this sort of thing as “the good old days”. I think people tend to forget just how bad things really were. They “knew it was bad, but it was also my childhood, so it can’t be all that bad”.

You guys should be making sure something like this never ever happens again. But you haven’t, so it probably will. Putin maybe?

9. kbr says:

I try to to imagine the worst thing ever happened to me, and even that does not even give a glimce of what those people had gone thru.

10. mukmika says:

The loss of Russian lives in WW2, circa 25 million, is rarely mentioned anywhere, so these pictures will help people everywhere to appreciate what the Russian people went through.

11. George O. Riley says:

Spring of 1953 – Dwight E. Eisenhower gave a speech, referred to as the Cross of Iron speech. Surely, some of his motivation came from the defenders of Leningrad. In it, he stated “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”

But the bellicose nations, particularly my own, the US, have learned little and another generation will carry the penalties of that ignorance.

12. beidel says:

I have much respekt for the Russian soldiers who fought the Nazis. Without them my city wouldn’t be free.

cheers from vienna!

13. eh says:

That was a hard time indeed.

14. CZenda says:

I wonder if the book mentions the less heroic aspects, too, e.g. widespread prostitution and the fact that those responsible for feeding the dying population lived in luxury. These facts are shortly mentioned e.g. in memoirs of the fighter ace Golubev.

15. kater says:

On September 17 1939 the treacherous Soviets ruthlessly attacked Poland, already under attack by Germans. Russians signed a pact with Germans to cut Poland in half and share the loot. Poland was once again betrayed and attacked by Soviet Russia. What followed was 50+ years of effective occupation by Russians in terms of communist government and presence of foreign army in the territory of Poland. May the memory of this hideous deed never be forgotten, in spite of continued attempts by Russians to rewrite history. Long live Poland!

16. Ivan says:

The last picture is really great!

I really love this website, I visit it every day and just want to thank everybody working on it! :-)

17. Shon says:

my grandma gona thru all this nigtmare.lost all of her friend and relatives.i hope nobody in usa,france,latin america or somewhere else gona know what is that when bombes falling down every hour and there is no food.

sry for mistakes.dont know eng so well

18. buy jeans says:

i can’t imagine how those people survived in such conditions

19. alone says:

that pictures are not shocking, you haven’t read the diaries of those blockade people… diaries and some notes are far more horrific.