24 Memories From the Soviet Childhood

Memories From the Soviet Childhood

Posted on August 29, 2010 by team

Childhood Memories 1

These cans were the inherent part of childhood spent in the USSR. Any Russian who has ever eaten these tasty stuff will certainly confirm that today canned food from a modern grocery is not so tasty anymore.

Childhood Memories 2Childhood Memories 3

24 Responses to “Memories From the Soviet Childhood”

1. eger_666 says:

first.

• Kirov [real one] says:

All this milk produkt was made from powder, like most dairy products. Fresh milk was something unimaginable for a Russian citizen from a city. The stuff tasted disgusting. It still does, actually.

2. kbr says:

back than you did not know anything better, now you do not know anything good. There isn’t anything in the world better than home made food, with own vegetables from your own garden.

3. JZ says:

When I was little, I loved “Malish” powder milk.

4. Otis R. Needleman says:

Neat pics. But I don’t believe all those products were available to everyone all over the USSR.

• kbr says:

Believe or not but EVERYbody in the USSR could eat as much of this kind of food as they could. Except: the people in satellite sates, people in the east of the Ural, the workers, the honest people, the normal working people, the people in the factories, the people on the bus, the people walking down the street, people in the mines, people at the universities, small people, big people, young people, old people, and the list goes on and on. So you see everybody could have such products, except those I did mention.

• Akskl says:

Total lie. I never saw 95% of this stuff in my life. I was born and lived in the USSR. 5% I did see and did eat, but that was the so-called “deficit” – i.e. it wasn’t freely available in the stores, only time to time, after standing sometimes for hours in waiting lines, and in very limited quantities.

• Akskl says:

Uops, I didn’t read thoroughly kbr’s post and misunderstood it.

5. eyefull says:

The best tinned fish I ever ate here in NZ was some soviet Export kind. It had Fennel and Peppercorns, and was in a vinegar pickle. It was really great, but I only saw it once, in the late 80s. I don’t know the name of it as I couldn’t read the russian script on the label.Maybe it was too good for ‘Home’ consumption. Anyone have memories of eating this soviet fish? It may have been dogfish.?

• Svart says:

Actually best crab, caviar and fish was exported from USSR to Japan, Australia, NZ and so on. One brand was “Chatka” (from Kamchatka). It provided country with much sought-after $.

• CZenda says:

Not really, but I remember Soviet canned fish (turbot) in vegetable oil sold for ridiculously low prices where I live during the last years of the Evil Empire. People were buying the fish to feed their cats.
      The fish had quite interesting taste and, as I live in a landlocked country, I will probably never find out whether it was because of the species or because of the vegetable oil/spices used.

6. Rattata says:

I see a till, but I thought money wasn’t in use, so what was the point?

7. Ivana Benderova says:

This is pure propaganda [email protected], plain and simple.

8. Fake Captain Kirk says:

I am fond of the package labels that just say what the product is “MILK!”. No confusion. No need for branding or advertising.

Of course in the 23rd century we have long done away with such things. We don’t even have packaging. Our food comes from a replicator and is basically recycled human waste. Yumm!

• CZenda says:

Well, if you have Tesco or something like that where you live, you will find similar no-nonsense marking on the cheapest range of their own brands.

9. norbert79 says:

On the picture, http://media.englishrussia.com/childhood_memories/6.jpg (I guess the sixth), you can see an east-german mixer on the picture, an orange one. We still have one of those, and still working! :) Same colour, same type!

10. Canadian says:

Beautiful building on first picture. We don’t have buildings like this in Canada :(

11. a says:

olga (or sameone in her famyl) has got noble girl baby.she sent her rasputins relatives in the wine basket (under the botles) They were take her bulgaria and they were give her a turkish family(bektashi religions((she did not make,join rutiels all her lifelong).the turkish family grove her.one day she maried and her husband and their 6 sun,2 douther migration in turkey1953 and she died in turkey. she reaplayed again and again “I am gallers princes”all her lifelong

12. a says:

romanovs has got a noble girl baby.they sent the baby to rasputins relatives in the wine basket (under the botles) They were take her bulgaria and they were give her a turkish family(bektashi religions((she did not make,join rutiels all her lifelong).the turkish family grove her.one day she maried and her husband and their 6 suns,2 douthers went in turkey 1953 and she died in turkey. she said again and again “I am gallers princess”all her lifelong may be feodravna may be one of the OTMA members was mother ofthe baby who can belive but god knows
    I bless you

13. melanie says:

The ads were nice in the USSR, but what you saw on the pictures is what we wanted the Americans to beleive about us. In reality we had to face endless waiting lines empty shelves and constant control. On the other hand, there were good sides to our communist way of life. I even wrote a book about that. It<s available here: