52 Inside the Mysterious UVB-76 Station

Inside the Mysterious UVB-76 Station

Posted on August 28, 2010 by team

There was a big buzz lately about Russian station UVB-76 which was known as a "buzzer" transmitting repeating beeping signals for as long as 30 years, and then lately a few times those were interrupted with strange coded voice messages. Now you can have a rare chance to see the place from where all those are coming from.

52 Responses to “Inside the Mysterious UVB-76 Station”

1. moty says:

and sadly still a zero

2. OLUT says:

There would have been more photos, but the Blair Witch jumped out and ate the photographer!

3. Flopka says:

Come on, is this really where UVB-76 is currently broadcasting from? A little more explanation of what these photos are? They look like an old broadcast station that’s been abandoned for centuries. UVB-76 is still on the air.

4. Spywhere says:

That’s not UVB-76. That’s clearly the lost amber room. Congratulations for finding it!

5. Boris Badenov says:

Komrades, per Wikipedia, the Ruskies stopped broadcasting this signal in 1989 when it became obsolete due to superior Amercan satellite system. Apparently, it worked with a missile early warning system.

• Traffic says:

It is the incorrect information. The station has transferred last coded message on August, 25th, 2010

• Jim-bob says:

You are referring to the “Russian Woodpecker”, which came from large antenna arrays such as the “Duga” outside of Pripyat. This is different. This is what is known in the short wave community as a “numbers station”. It broadcasts coded messages to spies around the world, whereas the woodpecker broadcast a high speed series of clicks that were used to range incoming missiles.

• spiny norman says:

It’s not a numbers station either, it doesn’t broadcast numbers, it just broadcasts an intermittent vuvuzela noise.

apropos of which, it’s still broadcasting, so I doubt this is actually UVB-76.

6. Boris Badenov says:

Why don’t we rename the country, “Abandoned in Place”.

7. Piotr says:

Why there is a few years old Samsung laser printer if that station have been abandoned for many years?

8. Wuzzy says:

Okay, and why is this one in the category “Funny”?

9. mage says:

There were suggestions that UVB-76 is part of Perimeter (aka Dead Hand). What a bullsh!t. As for the station, well I am disappointed. Good to see though.

10. qed says:

this article is just a joke.

11. Boritz says:

I find the photos confusing. Some show disorderly abandoned looking areas, while others show tidy rooms with lights on (apparently NOT abandoned). If indeed these photos are from the same installation, one might conclude that it is still operating. The “abandonded” areas and equipment might just be old obsolete stuff in an unused part of an otherwise operational facility.

12. Dirtyape says:

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

13. Dietmar says:

I think this is not the “Buzzer”.
    This is an abandoned bunker, no longer operational.
    But UVB-76 is working.
    Why are certain places in Photo 3 and 31 are blacked out?
    This is never the “Buzzer”…

• Stah says:

You are right about blacked photos. But you missed 32 (the last one), which is both blacked and even whitened in one place ;)
      I also doubt this is THE station…

14. Byron76 says:

Why feet in plastic bags???? Is there any contamination???
    Best regards from Argentina.

15. Crazy, I fell upon this site by mistake really i was browsing Yahoo regarding tips exactly the same as these while I fell on your Fantastic, site, I must declare your website is great I just adore your theme, its fantastic!. I will not have the moment this second to completely research your web site however I have you bookmarked as well as opted in for the RSS feeds. I might be returning frequently. many thanks for a terrific web site.

16. Erika says:

Lol That pink thing in the top pic looks like a male s*x toy!

17. Henrik says:

Why is photo #3 censored?

18. Those are some creepy pics. I think what makes it more creepy is some areas are flooded and complete disarray while other areas are extremely tidy.

That would be a great setting for a horror/thriller movie.

19. Genaro says:

the liquid in the floor is that some kind of dioxin compound like pcb? they were used in old electric transformers

20. Kadmiel says:

I don;t think this is the actual site.. Its last broadcast transmission was on the 28th of this month. so it is not abandoned but still makes your imagination run wild

21. Elraver says:

Looks like Gordon Freeman should be working there.

22. I would like to see pictures of the exterior as well.

After all this time, why hasn’t anyone just knocked on the door and asked what the true purpose of UVB-76 is?

• Sandbagger says:

I want to point out a few things about this series. The important thing about UVB-76 is not the building that everyone thinks is important, but the transmission tower itself.

I’ve worked with communications towers, and I know for a fact that you can set up a tower and broadcast somewhere completely different from where you are recording. The signal could be pumped in through a dedicated phone line, or by some other connection. The building is in fact a giant red herring that is completely useless.— Yarick

I submit that you have things bassackwards the transmission tower is unimportant. What can the transmission tower tell us about who is broadcasting the signal and to what purpose? The answers are at the opposite end of that “dedicated phone line” from the transmission tower.

23. Yarick says:

24. I have been trying to explain the same thing to my homies but I think it’s better if I just send them the link to this article instead. Thankyou for writing such an insightful article.

25. skrats says:

A failure in the cooling system would explain the water. Water cooled tubes.

26. Besong says:

Really good piece! I’ll end up viewing again with regard to even more improvements.

27. Dimitri says:

The UVB-76 flooded recently in august, that’s why the transmission cease for a time.

28. danny duck says:

The transmission site of UVB-76 was found using triangulation but that only leads to a antenna. The people broadcasting can in this day and age be sitting thoasands of miles away in a nice comfy room. Pirate radio operators use this trick.

• danny duck says:

++ a main requirement to broadcasting/transmitting this signal is power and I don’t mean 240v from your plug at home which maybee why they transmit from there as external pics show it looks like a old power sub station. see google earth 56°4′59.59″N 37°6′37.01″E

29. Matt says:

Looks like Aperture Science.

30. phrylok says:

Reminds me of Chernobyl diaries

31. Zap Zeck says:

I dont know what is this, but have a hacker group that involves this.