28 Moscow Olympic Games 1980 – Rare Pictures

Moscow Olympic Games 1980 – Rare Pictures

Posted on July 29, 2010 by team

Shelter For Heroes - Olympic Games 1980 1

In 1980 Canadian spouses David and Cheryl Hendersons came on a visit to Moscow to see XXII Summer Olympic Games where they took a lot of interesting photos. They were the parents of a Canadian sportswoman Sandra Henderson who set the Olympic flame in 1976 in Montreal. Here are the pics not only of the Opening Ceremony but beautiful views of Moscow that changed so much on those July days.

Shelter For Heroes - Olympic Games 1980 2Shelter For Heroes - Olympic Games 1980 3

28 Responses to “Moscow Olympic Games 1980 – Rare Pictures”

1. biggfredd says:

1th, 1rd whatever! What do I win?

That’s what I thought >>sigh<<

2. hobbit says:

Interesting to see Moscow as shown the world during the games.

3. Testicules says:

3rsty

Worst Olympics ever. No USA team to win all the medals.

I wonder how wrecked the stadium is now.

• Indy75 says:

Wanker !
      If USA weren’t there, it was entirely their fault:)

• Testicules says:

The USA wasn’t there because the 2nd worst president ever, Jimmy Cater (the worst being Obama) was protesting the unprovoked Russian invasion of Afghanistan.

By the way, the medal count has been adjusted because of the rampant use of anabolic steroids and transexuals in the Warsaw Pact Olympic programs.

• Kalasnikov says:

Good point!!

• Sergey S. says:

1976 – XXI olympic games in Montreal

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
      1 Soviet Union 49 41 35 125
      2 East Germany 40 25 25 90
      3 United States 34 35 25 94

1980 – XXII olympic games in Moscow without USA etc.

1984 – XXIII olympic games in Los Angeles without USSR etc.

1988 – XXIV olympic games in Seoul

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
      1 Soviet Union 55 31 46 132
      2 East Germany 37 35 30 102
      3 United States 36 31 27 94

any questions?

• Ivana Benderova says:

SerG@Y, yes I have a question for you… Can you dispute that any “amateur athlete” from the eastern bloc in those days could even pass basic and crude “testing” by today’s standards? Or for that matter, can you? LMAO!

4. THOMPSG says:

The stadium is in fine shape. Being american I guess you didn’t watch the Champion league final between chelski and Man U in 2008.. if you would have, you might have noticed it was in the same stadium.

5. Perthko Austhik says:

Thanks for sharing this rare pictures. I was borning that year.

6. Lex says:

Why the gay rainbow flags next to the torch??

7. YJ says:

Only Canadians gets to visit Russia back then.

8. are you kidding says:

Any true American patriot would still ban the commie games of 1980 while the USSR was at its peak power of suppression and murder all over the world .

9. spofam says:

Hulye idoszak volt,Sport es politika osszemosva.Mind 2 fel megerte a penzet.A lepukadt komunista orszagban csak azert toltak annyira a sporot,hogy az embereknek arra figyeljenek es ne a nyomorra.Fardsz le az embereket aztan mar nem lazadnak.

10. Randomtask says:

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

11. pasteldemacaco says:

HY,
    Could some good Russian citizen take new pictures from this arena for us from the rest of the world?
    Cheers from Brasil!

12. Jerry Barada says:

Nationalism and religion will be the death of the human race. We should all be working together, not competing.

13. byron says:

My Sister was there for this as a spectator from Australia, I think it was really the first thing i’d seen from Russia. To me this Olympics was the first one to have, at the time, an unbelievabley good opening and closing ceremony. Since then they have become more alaborate but not so much better.

14. Le Nôtre says:

Very nice picture, the color and the subject, it’s so old school :)

15. OLUT says:

Those pictures are great! Thanks, Henderson family. I’m especially happy because of the Misha pictures, I LOVE Misha! That people-fountain shape was pretty cool, too… where they all sit in a circle in a big fountain shape.

16. Kathleen says:

I don’t like the pictures because you can’t understand anything about ordinary life from them. I wonder if the photographers were not allowed to take pictures of anything but touristic spots. All this posing annoys me. Personally I don’t like mass shots. It’s a Northern Korea style. And the stadium is just like any other Olympic stadium. Sorry. These pictures are also a part of a big Soviet lie even if they were made by foreigners. You really should check out the Cartier-Bresson series…

17. Pete says:

The family must have lived in the Cosmos Hotel at VDNK. Floor mates with the 1980 Olympic mascot have been for years on sale.

18. a says:

olga (or sameone in her famyl) has got noble girl baby.she sent her rasputins relatives in the wine basket (under the botles) They were take her bulgaria and they were give her a turkish family(bektashi religions((she did not make,join rutiels all her lifelong).the turkish family grove her.one day she maried and her husband and their 6 sun,2 douther migration in turkey1953 and she died in turkey. she reaplayed again and again “I am gallers princes”all her lifelong

19. Laurente says:

I always thought that the necklace badges became common across the Eastern Europe in the late 90’s..

20. a says:

romanovs has got a noble girl baby.they sent the baby to rasputins relatives in the wine basket (under the botles) They were take her bulgaria and they were give her a turkish family(bektashi religions((she did not make,join rutiels all her lifelong).the turkish family grove her.one day she maried and her husband and their 6 suns,2 douthers went in turkey 1953 and she died in turkey. she said again and again “I am gallers princess”all her lifelong may be feodravna may be one of the OTMA members was mother ofthe baby who can belive but god knows
    I bless you

21. lorenzo says:

I still remember the opening ceremony on TV..
    the elaborated man-made coreography mimicking a giant display under the torch impressed me..