16 Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk

Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk

Posted on July 28, 2010 by team

Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk 1

The State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk has been working since 1936,  much equipment is of the same period. It is “too much” even for Russia where such old equipment is now rare too.

Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk 2Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk 3

16 Responses to “Inside the State District Power Plant in Sredneuralsk”

1. DougW says:

last!

2. muzzer says:

8th – boring photo`s

3. Testicules says:

3sty

I agree. Not very exciting or high tech.

4. too much vodka says:

I don’t like it not to be first.

5. OLUT says:

I want to press the big, red button!

6. Cindy says:

How ’bout more English in EnglishRussia- I would love to know what the signs say. Some info about the plant would be nice, too- how many megawatts, is it coal, gas, hydro, nuclear? How many workers?

• Barry Trotter says:

“How ’bout more English in EnglishRussia-”

You know, I was going to post the same thing. Pictures are very interesting but why post pictures of signs and notices without a translation?

• Zack says:

I think that the 19th picture says it’s 300 MW (300000 MBT). And that’s not very much power for steam turbine so I’m guessing that it’s a coal plant.

• Cracker says:

Why don’t you get off you lazy asses and try to read it yourselves? Google translate and an on-line Russian keyboard is all you need. You might learn something. I’m teaching myself Russian just so I can read these things.

I think the 1st picture says something like:
        “Lenin Works Metal Factory founded 18(?)7 STALIN built 1931″

7. DouglasUrantia says:

Damn, I told you not to press that Red Button!

8. Ringtail says:

This is the Sredneuralsk combined heat and power plant. It is located in the town of Sredneuralsk (literally “Middle Urals town”), a suburb of Yekaterinburg, founded in 1931 at the shore of the Isetskoe lake specifically to accomodate the power plant personnel. The current town population is 20,000, although of course not all of them work at the power plant; I could not find information on the actual number of workers. The plant supplies Yekaterinburg, a major Russian city (population 1,300,000), with power and hot water.

The power plant normally works on natural gas, but can also use fuel oil. The total power output is ~1200 megawatts, from a total of 11 power-generating units.

This is what the power plant looks from the outside, from an abandoned mooring at the Isetskoe lake: http://www.enotogorsk.ru/uploads/files/2009-10-23-Sredneuralsk/04.jpg . The plant’s site is fairly picturesque; this is the Isetskoe lake: http://www.enotogorsk.ru/uploads/files/2009-10-23-Sredneuralsk/06.jpg

Mail procyonar@gmail.com if you want to know anything else about the power plant or this area, I happen to live nearby :)

9. Ringtail says:

The original posting mentions that most of the equipment dates back from the 1930’s (the inscription on the first photo says “Leningrad Metal Plant named after Stalin, founded 18?7 – manufactured in 1931″). Some of the machinery has been working for as much as 500,000 hours. It is currently being replaced, although at a slow rate. One of the turbines is a prize from the Great Patriotic War; it was transported from Berlin in 1949. The power plant is currently a mix of antiquated and state-of-the-art equipment, the latter being installed by Spanish contractors. The power plant itself, along with Reftinsky, another major power plant of the region (and a really huge one), is owned by the OGK-5 company, which in turn partially belongs to the Enel corporation from Italy.

The signs are not particularly noteworthy. The sign at the 4th photo says: “Hydrogen! Flammable!”. The sheet at the 13th photo is some operating instructions for one of the furnaces. The 14th photo is mildly amusing; it is a notice about feeding of some fishes at the fish tank (presumably left out the photos), signed by “fish-person-in-chief Shokhmin”. The 19th photo is a nameplate from another turbine, manufactured by the same Leningrad Metal Plant in 1969, with some technical specifications. Notably, that metal plant at this point was no longer named after Stalin, but after the 22nd Party Convention instead.

10. Ringtail says:

The photos themselves were taken by a journalist from Yekaterinburg, who accompanied the governor of our region (Sverdlovsk Oblast) on a visit to Sredneuralsk. Notably, he reports being contacted by the press secretary of the power plant after having published these photos in his blog; she was angry at him for “misrepresenting” the plant, and told him he had taken the pictures of old pieces of equipment but left out all the new ones. The journalist was surprised by this reaction, as it were the power plant workers who had shown him all these 1930’s nameplates, with great pride in their plant’s longevity. Apparently, this was still considered bad PR.

11. AP says:

notably this plant looks great for that vintage; will have bent coal flamered

12. biggfredd says:

I’m betting this would be an asbestos abatement nightmare!

13. Roy says:

I think it’s great. Machinery from as far back as 1931 still working, still productive. Also built to last, of which I heartily approve.