15 Second Birth of a Young Sky Diver

Second Birth of a Young Sky Diver

Posted on July 24, 2010 by team

tn

Yulia Yevdokimenko, a Russian student aged 19, had always been dreaming about a parachute jump. And finally her dream almost came true.  Why almost? Because both her main and reserve failed to work.

Yulia miraculously survived falling from a height of 800m.  She rememebers everything, her fear and beauty of nature from above... 7 seconds and she was on the ground, and she was alive! She hurt her back and now she has to learn toddling again but she is still optimistic although never wants to jump again.

1001

via ntv.ru

15 Responses to “Second Birth of a Young Sky Diver”

1. zimbo1947 says:

I just hope there is no lasting damage and wish her all the best!

2. DavidDerKlabauter says:

good thing there is terminal velocity.

3. George Johnson says:

Exactly why I would never do this. It only takes one screwup. And with my luck, *I* would be sure to find that one.

4. Boritz says:

I always hate it when that happens.

5. kryon says:

I hope she’s ok soon.

6. mukmika says:

Yulia is very brave, and I would not be surprised if she jumps again, sometime in the future.

7. Kristoph says:

To be fair she was going quite slow…

Still great to see she survived.

Will never forget some of the falling from the sky stories, one I sort of remember, in World War 2 a bomber was going down and a crewman jumped with no parachute, fell from an extremely high distance but landed in a forest and all the soft branches covered in snow broke his fall and he hit the ground unharmed.

• t2ku says:

Actually it appears to be a russian D-5/D-6 airborne units parachute. One of the most reliable and safest designs ever, still used by several countries military forces. Probably the simplest and safest parachute for a beginner solo jump, when done correctly, the landing speed on impact is only 2-3 m/s. I have jumped with the same chute, the only downsides to it I can see are its considerable weight and quite poor maneuvering ability.
      Jumping solo with a modern rectangular sport parachute would be much more risky (for a novice) because of higher speeds and sharper handling.

Theres a reason driving schools dont use sports cars you know.

8. Viper007Bond says:

It might have helped if she wasn’t using what looks to be a World War II parachute. The vast majority of civilian parachutists use the ‘square’ ram-air type parachute, and for good reason.

9. calahan says:

She’s kind of cute. I guess she is a true “knockout”,,,,hehehehehehehehehe

10. Bababa says:

Luckily her chute was somewhat “open”.. this slows the fall.
    if there was nothing the chances were probably lower?

11. WiseMan says:

Like they say…”If at first you don’t succeed, parachuting is not for you”!

Lucky girl…hope she gets well soon!

12. wbm says:

Why article talks about “Yulia Yevdokimenko”, but in the video attached title says “Yulia Emelyanenko”?

13. Testicules says:

Darwinism at it’s finest.