21 Kachinsky Air Garrison; Helicopters

Kachinsky Air Garrison; Helicopters

Posted on June 23, 2010 by team

kacha 1

Kacha is not only aircraft but helicopters as well. Over here, in Crimea, such sorts of aircraft as search-and-rescue KA-27PS helicopters, antisubmarine KA-27PL and multipurpose MI-8 ones.

kacha 2kacha 3

21 Responses to “Kachinsky Air Garrison; Helicopters”

1. Bico says:

First!!

2. Luis says:

Second!

3. Geoff Kovalo says:

They look like reliable, rugged work horses. I’ll take one please! :)

4. Cracker says:

I like the three blade electric fan on the windshield post (pics 7 + 8). It has no guard around it. Imagine the pilot sticking his hand into it while flying. CHOP!

5. Annoy says:

How come Soviet was so fond of the unnatural colors cyan, lime green and reddish brown in all military and civilian vehicles and weapons? Did some color blind general order a million litres too much?

• Annoy says:

“why don’t you ask them why such colors were chosen”

But I think I did just a while ago. Yes, in fact you replied to the very same question. Clearly you are in no position to answer this.

• OldBikr says:

You are correct, but because I’m not stressing myself over it, I don’t need to sound like a juvenile.

I could, however; guess that some of the pigmentation choices have an economic component (cheaper), superior corrosion resistance, and they provide instant recognition of the aircraft’s unit affiliation. It is also considered good for morale to allow the personnel some lee-way in how the colors are applied and maintained.

I suppose I could give other reasons too, the bottom line is simply this, just because you personally don’t like the colors chosen does not mean they are bad or weird colors.

• OldBikr says:

Correct. I was just kinda whacked by how you phrased your “request” for information on how the colors were chosen.

You shouldn’t be surprised when you are not answered. When you approach questions in that fashion it turns folks off.

• Annoy says:

I don’t regret phrasing using the word unnatural, or ending with a pun.

Normally military choose natural (boring) colors to maximize camouflage, and on the inside to minimize eye strain and improve night vision. I’m not talking about the exterior of the KA-27PS, which has a typical air force sky camouflage color range that almost blends into the sky on photo #2.

This cyan interior is unnatural and eye straining. Compare to the US aircrafts that most use black or gray (see uscockpits.com). Also civilian planes have this instrumentation color, which I presume is because the soviet civilian aircrafts were designed to be easily converted into bombers in case of war. And the lime green I’ve seen on e.g. soviet anti-personnel mines make them easier to spot than other armies’ which are olive.

I could buy your explanation of economic reasons, but I think every country tries to minimize paint costs. But not at the expense of the individual soldier.

• Boritz says:

Believe it or not, Soviet/Russian aircraft interior coloration is result of much serious study. The particular color bluish/greenish is found to best for elimination of pilot’s eye fatigue. It also provides necessary degree of contrast in all lighting conditions against the instruments. Most useful for flying when having to rely on instruments only.

6. YJ says:

This is in Ukraine?

7. mukmika says:

I’d like a ride in one of those MI-8 helicopters. They seem to be roomy and dependable.

8. are you kidding says:

What a bunch of out dated relics .

9. JPNZ says:

I’m disappointed at the picture of the world on the side of the chopper (Pic 6)…..It doesn’t have New Zealand !
    LOL :)

10. Testicules says:

Does that junk still fly?

11. Boritz says:

Looks like not bad to be helicopter pilot in Crimea!

12. froggy says:

Whoever calls this old junk should know that mi-8 is the workhorse of the world. Yes that’s right most mass produced helo in history.