23 Siberia in the Early 20-th Century

Siberia in the Early 20-th Century

Posted on June 21, 2010 by team

Back in 1904 young painter Boris Smirnov was sent by prisoner transport to Siberia; and his path went along the Great Siberian Tract. On his way he was making sketches of settlers and locals of this distant region, as well as of their way of life and Siberian landscape and eventually lining up a whole series of drawings and water-colour paintings.

‘Dukhobor’ prisoner.

Krasnoyarsk’s babushka.

23 Responses to “Siberia in the Early 20-th Century”

1. Boritz says:

First again! My mother is proud!

• BorisBadenov says:

My compliments to you for a fine achievement. Some people don’t appreciate the skill involved in being FIRST! First, I rub my bleary red eyes every morning and turn on computer. Then, I make love to my Natasha. Third, I check EnglishRussia to see what’s up, then I strike.

2. Flopka says:

An AMAZING artist.

3. mukmika says:

It’s wonderful to have this artistic record of that region and people over 100 years later. I hope we see more of this artist’s work.

4. George Johnson says:

Some really beautiful work. I really wish I could do something like this. One looked almost like an old photo.

5. Kolja says:

His last name is Smirnov NOT Smirnos.

6. Allie says:

These are beautiful. As an artist myself, I am thoroughly impressed. I love the integration of materials and the tone of the series.

7. Frankie says:

Is that a PPSh on the back of the kid with the Christmas Tree. How the..?

8. BorisBadenov says:

Beautiful use of light. Very cool stuff from pre-Soviet times.

9. Prince says:

Beautiful Artist very natural.
    All of his paintings are beautiful but the one I like most is Moonlight Night in which he used the shade of light brilliantly.

Not only his paintings are beautiful but it gives the inside of live of the peoples of that era in Siberia region.

10. Jason says:

“Christmas-tree in some rich family house.”

this picture cant be “early 20. century” because the boy is carrying a PPSh submachine gun, that was developed in 1940. i dont think, these appeared as toys before late 40’s.

of course, there is a light possibility, this is a similar “suomi” SMG, that was developed 10 years earlier, but then thi picture is certainly NOT of siberia but rather finland.

but still i’m pretty sure, this is PPSh due to its shape.

11. Old Timer says:

Russia is a country filled with gifted artists. At least it was.

12. Unknown says:

Those are pretty good.

13. gurtek says:

very nice…………….

14. Chasseur says:

I think that the picture with the boy with the PPSH accidentially slipped in, all the rest seems very beginning of 20th century, because of the special glasses, and well, around the 1940s there weren’t any Russian noblemen and tradesmen left…

15. Läsare says:

Well, one could certainly speculate whether the most of the pictures are Siberia or not, but the one with the man collecting money in front of the chirch is DEFINITELY Irkutsk. I do recognize the chirch, it’s still standing there.

16. Schedule says:

Best you could make changes to the post subject English Russia » Siberia in the Early 20-th Century to something more catching for your blog post you write. I loved the the writing however.