30 Puschino Radioastronomical Observatory

Puschino Radioastronomical Observatory

Posted on June 17, 2010 by team

puschino_telescopes 1

Puschino Radioastronomical Observatory is the oldest Russia’s scientific establishment that is engaged in radioastronomic research. It was established on 11 April, 1956, when the authorities gave permission to build the institution and fix up a radio telescope on its area.

Currently there are 2,5 radio telescopes (one of them only with its East-West axes working) operating at the observatory: RT-22 FIAN, DKR-1000 and BSA FIAN. On the header image you can see an experimental telescope. These things are dotted around the whole area of the observatory and wired up together.

puschino_telescopes 2

Radio telescope BSA FIAN, an antenna array, consists of 16,384 dipoles. The whole thing occupies the area of more than 70 square kilometres (44 sq. miles.)

puschino_telescopes 3

Wiry skies.

30 Responses to “Puschino Radioastronomical Observatory”

1. Bloom says:

first..!

nice

2. Ones says:

Are those antenas still working properly? or there only as a museum/display?

3. Peter says:

Tools ? I guess that this is a wrong translation since the Russin word for ,tools’ is ,Instrument’, but it means also ,Instrument’.

4. Boritz says:

Another summer re-run. Still interesting nevertheless.

• Boritz says:

My mistake! Subject is not new, but photos are. I especially like creative recyclings of gun turret for base of telescope! Ingeniousness!

5. C. says:

yeah seen this before

6. are you kidding says:

It might still work but, it is definitely out dated and a relic of the 20th century built by the blood and labor of a suppressed people under communism .

• eger_666 says:

There is new and old stuff.
      >>a suppressed people under communism .
      People were not suppressed under “commusism”. At least becase there was no communism in USSR xDDDDD Wut a fool.

7. Unknown says:

Awesome!

8. exUSSR says:

The Russian CERN…

9. BorisBadenov says:

Yes, but can it get Playboy Channel?

10. Josh says:

This is awesome! Every week you post many interesting things. I cannot wait to visit Russia and see some of these things for myself. The list is growing longer and longer, and it’s mostly your fault! =P Thank you for a wonderful site =)

11. OldBikr says:

Holy sheep sheets Batman! How much E.M. is this thing putting out? I’m glad it doesn’t seem to be near any major population centres. This thing probably fries small birds and insects at 1,000 yards. Yummy!

If you thought cell-phones were bad for giving out tumors…

• trvl says:

It’s receive only – it does not transmit, OldBikr. If it’s not near any major population centers, that’s by design, to isolate it from sources of emf interference.

• Old Bikr says:

Thanx man I feel better now. Electro-Magnetic Radiation effects upon living organisms are not as well understood as they should be, perhaps.

I have heard from some people here in the U.S. that they feel their health has been badly affected by the electronic emissions emanating from power lines, military bases, and high powered communications equipment.

With so many people saying this, I am inclined to think they may be on to something.

I am not a technician, so my understanding of such things is minimal. I am/was at different times, a heavy equipment operator, truck driver, tugboat crewman, dredger-man, sailor, farm-hand, and maintenance mechanic.

I can tell you a little bit about a Liebherr 996 excavator mounted on a barge named the dredge “New York”.

12. John S says:

70 km^2 is 27 mi^2. You fail at basic math, submitter.

13. Turbo says:

12rdst

14. Scarpia says:

Interesting post, but I think I’ve already read this before, may be some kind of deja vu?

15. AAC Plant says:

i’d never see something like this.

16. x3 says:

The area of BSA FIAN is actually 70000 sqare meters = 0.07 sq kilometers = 0.027 sq miles

17. George Johnson says:

The Russian CERN?? One is a radio telescope, and the other is a “atom smasher”. How do you get from one to the other?

18. I am very pleasedto see that you are putting so much of effort for encouraging the visitors with valueable seo posts , Ohhh what do you all think about 3d tv?

19. Karganeth says:

Almost all of old looking equipment not used at the moment, 25.jpg for example, that is an old remote position control of the RT-22 reflector. Everything possible was automated by computers since the end of 70’s.

20. aldebaran says:

outdated and rusty… like everything soviet