28 Russia in 1968-1972

Russia in 1968-1972

Posted on June 14, 2010 by team

Rossiya_1968_1972 1

This is a collection of great photos from times of the USSR. Cities like Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Petrozavodsk, Irkutsk and Bratsk are on the list. Looking at these shots it occurs to one that that life back then was pretty much better and worry-free. Maybe it is just a trite nostalgia or a photographer’s skill? But hey, stop! Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or is it?

Enjoy!

Rossiya_1968_1972 2Rossiya_1968_1972 3

28 Responses to “Russia in 1968-1972”

1. Testicules says:

1st

2. Vladyxa says:

great country

3. Kent_Diego says:

Amazingly few cars. Everyone looks a lot healthier.

4. Orignal Kirov says:

good times. very good times.

5. Douglas says:

Cities look wonderful without all of the signs and advertisements. The Moscow in these pictures is much more beautiful than today :-(

6. CZenda says:

Repost. These shots were already posted here.

7. Ned says:

How about same pictures today?

8. Erik says:

Looks very nice, wish I could have paid a visit back then.

9. CZenda says:

Visiting country outside the Warsaw Pact for summer holidays was almost impossible in the Soviet-ruled countries, too. There were caravans of people from Czechoslovakia and DDR driving their Skodas or Trabis to reach the desired warm coast of Bulgaria every year, which led to funny situations when the owners of the cars scratched their heads over a broken part and tried to get a help in a Hungarian village where nobody spoke Czech and speaking German was dangerous :-D
    Too bad this aspect of communist reality is not mentioned in “Sonnenallee” or “Goodbye, Lenin”.
    Visiting other cheap destinations, e.g. Egypt, was impossible.

10. Tim says:

Pay a visit. With the exception of the trees on Red Square, the cities look remarkably the same. More traffic now, and a little bit dirtier because the government isn’t as obsessed with appearances. But what I find most remarkable is how unchanged it all is (just spent a year in Petersburg).

11. SS says:

Yea thats what I also like about Russia !

White people !!! White pride !!!

12. Musa says:

Great Pictures! People do look healthier (all that walking was good for them) and it does look cleaner.

It’s so strange to see these older pictures and compare them with my vague memories of America and Americans during the same time period.

Actually I was pretty young back then. But I still remember somethings And now I see, it’s so different to how I thought Russia and Russians would be.
    Thanks for sharing photographs and post. :)

13. Chris says:

Beautiful!!

14. Mitch says:

Wow, amazing to see how clean it was back then compared to today ie no liter and it looks like they removed the metalwork paint before repainting it in those days. And another couple of things that made a difference was nice to see a lack of advertising boards and also a market selling real flowers only and none of those plastic things that can be seen everywhere now.

15. sujeewa says:

these are beutiful
    less people on the roads, less cars and busses,
    lot more cleaner,
    the difference i guess is; these photos were taken in good weather, sunshine, no rain or ice.
    some of the blog photos of moscow these days are taken on rainy days, ice on roads, water everywhere; so these pictures are gloomy.

16. OLUT says:

Well said, Lex. These pictures are pretty, the people in them seem to be having a nice day, walking around in the sunshine. But the part I can’t look past is how you really weren’t free to live your life the way you want.

A lot of young people, their parents say “you will take over the family business” or “my father was a doctor, I am a doctor, you will be a doctor” but if the kid REALLY does not want that, he can defy his father and choose his path. In Russia, the state chose your career, you couldn’t for yourself. (I’m sure job security was awesome, and something that was badly missed when the USSR collapsed.)

That to me is the worst. If I had grown up there and wasn’t able to choose, I would have been extremely depressed. In “free” countries, they have tests to determine what would be a good career for you. But… you don’t have to listen! I took one and I got completely different results than what I wanted, yet I followed my way and did OK.

• Oleg says:

What a nonesense! You couldn’t run your own bussiness in USSR, but there was a complete freedom in choosing profession. Graduating school students were encougaged by the slogan: “There are hundred roads in front of you. Choose whichever you like”. Moreover, you could learn chosen profession for free and you could be sure that you would have a job in accordance with your choice.

17. EnglishCanuck says:

Man, the USA was flooded with cars and fast-food and where are the people burning the flag in protest of the war?
    Big cultural differences.
    Canada was also much less culturally infested back then, then the Liberals and PET came about. Now it’s Canakistan or Comalia…

18. mark says:

I would be interested to see pictures of the same places as they are now

19. George Johnson says:

Things were always better “back then.” The USA was a LOT better around the 50’s. I’m sure Russia had some great things about it also, lower crime and such.

But, you also had a lot less freedoms and “stuff”. We had stuff, but we also had less freedoms if you think about it.

20. Jorge Antonio says:

Less crime, less polution, no drugs, no prostitutes, no booms, no unhealty things, no ignorance, free education, free medical services. That was great!

21. Grinya says:

Old good times. Beautiful and clear city! ))

22. exUSSR says:

Life was so simple and beautiful !
    you didnt owned to banks and wasnt afraid to be killed for 10$ like here in the usa.
    it was a big mistake to move to usa…and collapse soviet union thanks to the b@stard yeltsin

23. Teri says:

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Everyone is walking around but it’s not over-crowded, everything is so clean and well taken care of, and I never see people buying flowers from flower booths, ever! I guess you appreciate them more when it’s warm enough to have them maybe? xD It looks so nice and summery in these pictures.
    I’d love to visit Russia, so much history, SOOO much history and beauty. But it would really comfort me if people still took care of it as well as they did back then. Even if it was a government agenda to keep up appearances, the side-effect is that it rubs off on everyone, if everyone takes the time to clean the streets and repair the buildings, it gives everyone a good feeling, a sense of pride. Who wouldn’t want to take a walk through lovely areas like this? I hope they haven’t changed too much and someone is taking care of these beautiful buildings. :3

24. Benfatto says:

exUSSR: Soviet Union colapsed because the money ran out. In its final years the USSR was bakced up by the west.

The bottom line: the state cannot take care of everybody, because everybody will end with nothing.

25. Nigel says:

Interesting photographs.. My first visit to Russia was in 1966 as a teenager. I remember queuing at Lenin’s Mausoleum for 4 hours and seeing the family in front “frog marched” out of the line for some reason. We were not encouraged to travel around in St. Petersburg or Moscow alone and I remember ball-point pens were scarce. A fascinating country, that I have returned to many times.

26. Erkan says:

Thank you for sharing these happy images!