48 Russian Lord of the Rings

Russian Lord of the Rings

Posted on May 27, 2010 by

Russian Lord of the Rings 2

Those are the Lord of the Rings heroes we all know but probably never had seen them like this before. In Soviet Russia they had that book too, it was not a full trilogy but illustrations were made by a local artist and look very different from the ones there were in the Western World. Can you guess all of the characters depicted here? The hint, the one on the cover is Bilbo.

Russian Lord of the Rings 4Russian Lord of the Rings 5

They have a Russian map!

48 Responses to “Russian Lord of the Rings”

1. perristalsis says:

The world didn’t need a first Lord of the Rings, so why this?

2. This is not Lord of the Rings, is The Hobbit.

3. Pacific NW says:

Awesome post.

4. trlbt says:

yeah, well, except this is the Hobbit and not LotR…
    so BS this and learn russian.

5. Annoy says:

The Hobbit is the very well known book by Tolkien that later led to the writing of the spin-off sequel Lord of the ring books. Everyone that have read LOTR have also read The Hobbit.

It is being filmed by Peter Jackson/Guillermo del Toro right now and will be released in 2012+2013 (two parts).

6. Rebecca says:

I’m sorry to nitpick, but that is The Hobbit, not The Lord of the Rings. Also, the character’s name is Bilbo (Bilbao being a city in Portugal).

The illustrations are cool though, thanks for sharing them!

7. Alex says:

Thanks for the nice pictures, cool post!

I just wanted to add to the conversation that Bilbao is not in Portugal, but in Spain, in the Basque Country.
    And the name of the city of Bilbao in Basque language is Bilbo, like Tolkien’s character :)

8. The Stegosaur says:

Awesome illustrations. The style is kind of familiar as those illustrations of our local “The Hobbit” book was made by Tove Jansson, the Finnish creator of the Moomin characters. Her style resembles this a lot. I’m sorry but I could find just one example online:

The book was titled “Lohikäärmevuori” (=”Dragon mountain”): http://iloineninkvisitio.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/p1000867.jpg

9. Chololo says:

Nice illustrations, and the artist took really seriously the fact that hobbits have hairy feet

10. Stefan Jones says:

I would buy that edition, even untranslated, just for the illustrations. Wonderful. Thank you!

11. Musa says:

The Wizard(Gandalf)equivalent looks Jewish! Yeesss! I love it, thanks for post! :D

12. OLUT says:

I’m seriously grossed out by the feet (I HATE!!!!! feet!) but otherwise, I love love love these illustrations! I love the faces, and I love that dragon. The artist who drew these is a genius!

13. BeckyMinx says:

They have tons of cool Russian stories equivalent to many famous pieces.

14. k2 incense says:

This is superbly awesome!

15. Carevich says:

I had such one in my early youth!

16. F says:

these illustration are awesome! i would like to have a copy of this version of ‘The Hobbit’… despite i couldn’t read it :)

17. F says:

(someone knows the name of the illustrator?)

18. Anna says:

The illustrator is Mikhail Belomlinsky. Here’s his website: http://www.belyj.com/mb/port/port.html

The illustrations for the Hobbit were done in 1976

19. Marcia says:

anyone know where I can buy the movie or book in Russian? these are awesome!

20. Bob says:

By the way, it was not a “low-budget movie” but a teleplay – most of it shot on theater-like stage with static decorations. Judging by the actors and technical details it was probably shot in mid-80’s.

21. Eugene says:

Nice, I was read this book (this exact edition) when I was really young, I read it myself later and I still have this book on my shelf now.

22. shmalex says:

the hobbit resembles Evgeniy Leonov )))

23. HarperCollins says:

According to the book The Annotated Hobbit, this Russian edition was published in 1976. The illustrator was Mikhail Belomlinskiy, who graduated from the I.E.Repin Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in 1960. He became known as a political cartoonist as well as a prolific children’s illustrator. He later moved to the USA.

24. Tovarich Zarek says:

In America you have a ring
    but in Soviet Russia

25. 0z0n says:

I don’t see anything funny on this book. In childhood i have this book, and know you what? I like it! Please, don’t show old russian books as monstrous. Yes, probably pictures in book seems little odd, but it was a long time ago.

• Elsie says:

Did you understand the article and comments? No one is making fun of this book or calling it monstrous. They are admiring and praising it! I would buy a copy of this if it were available today and I don’t even know enough Russian to read it. And I wish I could watch the whole movie.

Continue to study English and then come back and read this post again and you’ll see that this is a very positive post, not mockery.

• 0z0n says:

My comment is for topic starter. I was think that he giggling on it. I see it on 2leep with title “Lord of the Rings like you never see it before” or something like that, can’t remember exactly.
        I hope you understand me correctly. And yes, I’ll continue study in English, thanks)

PS: And very nice that you all like this book too

26. José Augusto Wrütten says:

Now that’s priceless! Very interesting post. I wish there was also an englishbrasil.com and englishchina.com, we would see a lot of interesting stuff too.

27. Burgher says:

This it the movie:
    And the book is the classical 1976 Russian edition of the Hobbit widely acknowledged as best in Russia. Just the one that I have. :-P Translated by Natalia Rakhmanova and illustrated by Mikhail Belomlinsky.
    Article on translation: http://www.kulichki.com/tolkien/arhiv/ugolok/rakhmanova_int.shtml
    Interview with illustrator: http://www.kulichki.com/tolkien/podshivka/060112.htm
    In Russian, but I can translate if needed.

28. Michael Kaluta says:

Exquisite illustrations, done with talent and heart.

I wonder what an edition of The Hobbit would have looked like had it been illustrated by Ivan Bilibin (I can see it in my mind, but only with my eyes shut!)

Thank you for this post.

29. stian says:

Awesome illustrations, this is a lost artform!

30. Jane says:

@ Chris Wininger: Of course they translated Lord of the Rings as well – first translation was published in 1976, in fact. Soviet szudents were singing A Elbereth Gilthoniel as enthusiastically as American ones.

31. Savannah says:

Bilbo’s furry feet are absolutely charming.

32. aldar says:

loved that book

33. ENORCA says:

Wonderful and well done illustrations :)

34. JustJss says:

I love the old illustrations, they’re a great addition to hobbit and Tolkien lore. :)

The way Bilbo’s face is done, though, makes him look a bit like a drunk, at least to me. We all know hobbits like a party but he couldn’t be three sheets to the wind ALL the time …

35. Dino says:

Like so many, I read The Hobbit to my children. They loved it, especially my portrayal of the lisping Gollum. I later tried reading them The Lord of the Rings, but it did not have the same attraction. Much later they read The Hobbit to their children, immitating my version of Gollum. Don’t know if they went on to Lord of the Rings.

36. danman says:

I love the drawings! Glum is done exactly the way i imagined him.
    As a kid i loved soviet cartoons and like them even now.
    The television films and other material from eastern europe demonstrates one thing – unlike the lavish spending in the west, our artists aimed and always could get a lot of bang for as little buck as possible.

37. K2 Herb says:

Awesome. Great blog, lots of info. Thanks for sharing!