41 The USSR of the 1960s-1970s

The USSR of the 1960s-1970s

Posted on May 17, 2010 by team

The USSR of the 1960s-1970s 1

Jacques Dupâquier was traveling in the USSR in 1956, 1964, 1975. In the list of places he visited were Moscow, Leningrad, Tula, Uzbekistan, Caucasus, Cuban, Ukraine...

The USSR of the 1960s-1970s 2The USSR of the 1960s-1970s 3

41 Responses to “The USSR of the 1960s-1970s”

1. Original Kirov says:

good times

2. MarkLenders says:

Second!

Finally in ER some interesting pictures

3. OLUT says:

It’s so wild to see huge expanses of streets with almost no cars or people.

I get why that is, but the jokester in me wants to say, “oh, it’s because everyone is at the beach!” That beach was so crowded, it almost didn’t look fun!

4. These pictures are interesting. People in the West can’t understand why Russians accepted life under a regime. 20 million dead, half the country raped, pillaged and looted.
    Two major invasions of their homeland from the West within 25 years. Under these conditions most would accept restrictions of personal rights in return for security.
    The Soviet Union and communism was born of the ashes of WW1 and legitimized by victory in WW2.

5. Chris says:

3rd world country!

• bubba-Ho-Tup says:

so true. an inferior state with nuclear power aspirations! and yet against all odds they still exist, still tormenting their smaller neighbors!

• bijdehans says:

Actually the socialist countries were referred to as the SECOND world, as opposed to the capitalist first world and the remaining third world…

6. Grinya says:

Why it was so beauty and so ugly now?

7. DouglasUrantia says:

A lot of older Russians look upon those days as the happy time of their youth. I have to agree.

Doug….USA

8. mad1982 says:

was nice days…

9. My Name Is Nobody says:

Did the KGB agent assigned to act as his “guide” show him Kolyma, Solovki and Katyn forest, too? Or a sigle flat inhabited by four families? Guess not…
    Was this dude a hard-boiled French Commie? Guess so…

10. jim-bob says:

It was sort of odd to see a line of parked cars that were all the same make and model ( GAZ Poebda). In fact, there were only three models I saw as in addition to the Poebda (translates as “Victory”) there was an original Moskvich ( Opel Kadet)and a ZIS 110 (license built Packard).

11. Paul says:

Another wonderful look at the past.
    Thank you ER!!

12. Musa says:

Nice Pictures. :)

13. Valiant says:

Truly wonderful pictures!

You should post most pictures with this theme.

Saludos

Valiant

14. Jason says:

So was the USSR better than todays Russia?The USSR was the largest police state in the world.If Russia was still the USSR today would I have seen so many new cars like the 2 H2 hummers and the 03 Mustang and so many Mazda 3s amd 6s when I was in Ekaterinburg 2 years ago?Would Budweiser and Miller beer and Red Bull and Skittles candy ect be there today?Didn’t communism collapse under its own weight?

• SSSR says:

I have also been to Ekaterinburg.But I didn’t marry a Russian woman,I did have some fun with her.

• PKS says:

Hear, hear! Thanks to the newfound “democracy” drug lords, thieves and murderers can afford to ride freely in H2 Hummers and Mustangs drinking Budweiser and Miller beer, instead of rotting in prisons of the “police state”.

You opened my eyes, Jason!

• Jason says:

Most of the Russian population are not drug lords, thieves and murderers.

• FromUkraineWithLove says:

you’re right, and most of the population don’t drive Hummers :) get my point?

There are very little high class people in Russia, these people live better now than in Soviet times, and they don’t get their money in good ways. They steal from the rest of the population.

The other part of the population lives worse than in Soviet times. I think all people should be the same. In USSR all people were middle class, the next step is that all people are high class, not 10% live high class and 90% live low class. Then I prefer everybody middle class, at least this is my opinion.

• Carlo says:

Jason, so your level of happines is measured by the brand of car you drive ? That is very low.

• Jason says:

You missed the point.Read my first comment again.Ya todays Russians don’t deserve todays products and lifestyle that many other countries enjoy!

15. Bert says:

Thanks for posting, Tema Lebedev!

16. are you kidding says:

Ya the good Ole days of gulags,executions and a communist government that held there people as prisoners and lied to them about everything that they could to keep its people ignorant to what freedom really meant and that the USSR was starting to crumble under its own corruption and mismanagement that was fueled by the ruling class of the communist party that had more rights in there so called classless society than the common people who worked for next to nothing .

17. Some Guy says:

cooool!

P.S. I wonder what the different colors on the world map represent.

18. Majico says:

nice days??? oh come on. in the 60’s-70’s the Soviets were at the stage at which the West was before WWII… those photos only look nice. this nation was terrorized, poor, uncivilized and this country was a giant on legs made from cop… so good that USSR is no more…

• FromUkraineWithLove says:

I don’t know exactly, I wasn’t born yet in the 70’s so I can’t judge by experience, but if you look at figures you’ll see that the USSR had the highest life expectancy in the world, and all people were literate (people who can read and write)

even now, 20 years after USSR collapsed look who are the top 15 countries.

And USSR had a very very very big impact on world technology advancement.

19. Kurze says:

Is it me or do all the city photo’s seem so open, spacious and a little bit empty? Can anyone fill me in on that?

20. Parabellum says:

21. Parabellum says:

This site does not publish the comments in Russian is racism

22. Josie says:

Wonderful pictures. More simple times, and the people seem content with the way things were. I have a question, though: can someone please explain to me why many of the women always wore scarves on their heads? Was this a fashion, or did they have to do this?

• Parabellum says:

Most of the population of the USSR in those years was from the village. In the village the handkerchief was the most simple and affordable headdress for women who had a lot of work under the scorching sun

• Josie says:

• Carlo says:

Not only, A married woman was not supposed appear in public with nothing on her head.

• Josie says:

Really? Wow, that makes a lot of sense why so many women in the older pictures wear the handkerchiefs then. Isn’t there also a regulation that women have to have their heads covered in church as well?

23. izodchaos says:

Well, that’s what you Russians get for your Stalin making deals w/ Nazi Germany.

Next thing we’ll probably be hearing from you lot are
    complaints/excuses about Ghengiz Khan.

“Anglo-Saxons dear, tell me how many German bombs were dropped on American cities? How many were occupied by British cities? As long as you think, I would remind you that the USSR was destroyed by the Nazis to the Ural Mountains. Echo of war for a long time been heard across the country.”

24. durox says:

that same time, people were in prison for reading the ‘wrong’ books… so it’s a bit strange seeing people write about the ‘good times’.

it’s always nice to see old pictures of places and people, but just because we see colors, doesn’t mean the times were colorful.

i like the picture w/ the CCCP map; big red CCCP comes actually in 3rd, after British and Mongol Empire w/ 23.7 million km2 (1866)
    ;]