Abrau-Durso is not a French name but Circassian. Abrau is a name of a lake that is translated as “precipice” . Durso – a river name translated as “four waters” because it feeds from four sources.
It takes an hour to get from the airport to Abrau-Durso.
The factory was built here in 1870 under the decree of emperor Alexander II. The first “Abrau” bottle was produced in 1898.
The biggest popularizer of Abrau Durso was Mikhail Bulgakov. He mentioned it nearly in all his novels.
Photos of those times are shown in one of the halls.
Usually an excursion begins with showing vaults models and a story about a French family who helped to produce the first batch of champagne.